Are These From The "same Run"

How do you tell if the marbles are from the "same run",subtle differences but the colors are all similar..I realize the first and last will be different but do you go by colors or what,any help would be appreciated,stuck here,first three pics all very similar ,last two are separate ones..thanks ahead of time for any imput

post-3243-0-29087000-1438559111_thumb.jp

post-3243-0-61312200-1438559122_thumb.jp

post-3243-0-81715900-1438559133_thumb.jp

post-3243-0-72145200-1438559170_thumb.jp

post-3243-0-96552800-1438559182_thumb.jp

We had a long discussion about that and some people were dismissive of ever calling vintage machine-mades "same run".

But I sure understand wanting to make that case here with marbles like these:

post-3243-0-72145200-1438559170.jpg

post-3243-0-96552800-1438559182.jpg

Too bad we don't know whether the doctor found any of these groups together or collected them one at a time and just happened to find several which looked alike. You could list them on ebay saying, "These look like they could be same run." That would be a safe way. And they sure do look nice together.

I really do wonder if they all came down the shoot together, or if Akro was just so consistent that they would make very similar looking marbles on different days.

Nthank you Steph for the response,yes I am wondering too,there are so many that are very close with just a little difference,colors appear to be the same but with slight changes.that is why I put that in quotation marks as I have read about that too.I am thinking he bought quite a few at one time as the surfaces are very shiny and too many that do match to a degree

Thank you for fixing my private message option...the option is there now..you guys are great

I think it would be safe to call them same run. Akro made a ton of marbles, thousands of popeyes that have the same exact color, and im sure they did the same with all the others, just pour in the receipe and let it go... a collector of a specific type would pay a higher price to have many of the same run. It does not make them go crazy in price but it does increase the value, at least in handmades.

steph this is probably like the peltier comic guy and the peltier guy Les jones used to buy from. The guy had 5 gallon buckets full of peltiers and would sell Les batches at a time. This guy probably ran across them in bulk many years ago and bought them. A good find by GreenVW

Thank you Greg,this is where I am stuck..if I place them in a certain order I can see a definite pattern,the first 3 pics there are 72 that are very similar in colors. But they start to vary in thickness of color but all the colors are there..so that is why I question this,and there are a couple more batches ,different colors but same idea as the first 3 pics

There is no such thing as a "same run" in machine mades. Certainly not in any standard Akro type. Sparklers were made for years.

The whole point to the vintage marble trade was to standardize a marble design, and then produce it true to that type for as long as there was commercial demand. Marble makers didn't want variation in a marble type - which is why the refuse dumps were so so large. They threw away marbles that came out not true to the desired standard appearance.

I agree with Alan. Not sure i understand large batch of marbles were produced from same batch of glass ???????? The vintage makers did not do a batch of colored glass. It was a24hr. a day seven days a week operation. The tank or furnace was refilled every 15-30 minutes to keep the glass level from getting low or keep near the same. The vintage makers did not do runs of a certian weight or time limit. They produced marbles according to sales in a continueous operation. Sparklers Popeyes and many many others of all makers were made over and over for years not a single batch or run. This was a big need for a recipe and weighing what went into the tank. If the same exact thing was done again ? Hopefully they got the same result. The same Sparkler or Popeye. Colors can be changed get low or run out anytime on purpose by mistake or production problems. We do see variations and hybrids. They may look the excat same but unless you witnessed it ? How can you be sure they were made near the same time ? Many marbles looking the exact same were made over different years. Not just a batch. I think stating same run may be sticking your neck out there. How can you prove same run ? Were you there when made? Just because they lookalike does not prove made the same hour day week or year. I think stating same run is sticking your neck out there. The special investor runs or batches at Jabo were a whole different operation than most all of the vintage machine mades. At a special investor run at Jabo. It was done by weight or time limits. When the limit was reached the machine was removed and the tank switched back to industrial marbles or shut down. The Jabo industrial marbles is usually a 24hr. a day seven days a week operation. They all look the same for days or weeks. Are they all the same run ?

Alan..sorry didn't mean to skip over your response..I appreciate your knowledge..that was my understanding but where I am finding so many that "match" I had to ask

Zaboo.

..thanks and no I haven't,don't have a black light..but maybe should get one

Wvrons..thanks..that's the info I was looking for..I am not putting them up as same runs..lots of valid points..I don't think I even say matching,though I might have on one listing..I am just putting them up as sets..so maybe I just am lucky with such a large quantity to be able to find ones that seem to go together?

Thank you all..I appreciate all your knowledge and willingness to offer it here

well I agree with Greg and Edna. yes batches were made for years, however, we have several box sets with matching rows. One is pictured in rogers book. acquired from roger. with exact matching marbles, one row of teal green and egg yolk. That particular type was only made for a short period of time, due to annealing issues. No question they came from the same run, as the patterning and colors match exactly to the one next to it.

Point is, have you ever tried to backfill a box with dead on matching marbles? good luck.

yeah they used the same recipes for the 'runs'. Just by definition, if they make a batch of just red snakes for one or two full days, that would be a run in my book. When they made a specific kind, lets use these sparklers, and filled 100 count boxes that day all day long, then by definition, they would all be from the same run. Same looking at our 100 count of master sunbursts. matching rows,

I think most here would agree that two or more machine made marbles manufactured one after another is a run. Subjectively speaking, I say it remains a run until one or more variables alter the appearance of the marbles coming off the rollers to the point where the human eye can detect a consistent difference.

So if JABO makes 1 million clear industrial marbles, it's a run insofar as they all look the same to us. But if midway in the process Joe's watch slips off into a glass tank, then there will be a brief "Joe's Timex" run.

If Akro Agate was able to precisely control all of the variables of the manufacturing process, especially the variables in big quantities of raw materials used in the glass recipes, then theoretically they could have produced Sparklers a year apart but which to a collector's eye look like the same "run" (or batch). But I consider that a very tall order given the complexities of a Sparkler marble. Think of just some of the variables that could alter one or more aspects of a marble's appearance: temperature, equipment wear and maintenance, employee skill and error, and especially those mass quantities of raw ingredients and the recipes. Think of those variables influencing the look of a Sparkler. It sure as heck ain't no Prize Name.

I understand what people are saying about the manufacturing process but there is a little something in the back of my head that says..wow..what are the odds that I would find so many "matching" ones,obviously I dot know how this person acquired all these marbles to begin with,would be nice to know..not going to happen..I am almost done "matching" them..I will post some pics when I do so you can see

Thanks all for your imput..very interesting

Having and having had several 100 count boxes it is fairly easy to see the ones that were made in the same time period ( I would estimate a few hours at the most). I have actually found marbles on 2 sides of the country years apart that were very obviously made at the same time. Take the solid red aventurine Alleys as an example. All same run in my book.