Marble related stuff ???

Chad G.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"What a collection", I know you do it because you love the hobby, sound's like for you has become a way of life, congratulation's you are a lucky man to be doing what you love, not to mention bringing a smile to my face and educating me at the same time. Guess I'll limp in with a few more things, made some of my display's using some akro dishes for stand's and backdrop. Have allot more akro stuff just haven't taken pic's yet, but nothing like what you have acquired. No pressman or alley goodies, wait I have two of those small glass electric fence conjoiner's somewhere, one clear and one amethyst, when I find them I will post the pic's. Not all Akro toothpick's, I slid in a few end of day's imperial because of the extra busy design in the slag.

DSC00646.JPG

DSC00710.JPG

DSC00647.JPG

DSC00338.JPG

DSC00280.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is marble related, just not sure what? ashtray stand bottom, lamp stand footing, it does have 3 little feet on the bottom of the mold ?? highly uv. You're guess is as good as mine." Update " A Vidreo fan base. Riddle solved

.png.JPG

vidrio3.PNG

vidrio2.PNG

This is almost of my related stuff (I think) Your collection is most impressive for a rebuild Ron, I enjoy looking as always, Thank's man:thup:

I'M WONDERING ABOUT THE 2 FENCE CONNECTORS I HAVE PICTURED, ARE EITHER ONE ALLEY ?? ONE LOOK'S EXACTLY LIKE THE DUG EXAMPLE'S I'VE SEEN, EVEN HAS THE SAME AMT. OF RIB'S, I HOPE IT ISN'T WISHFUL THINKIN ON MY PART IF NOT I'M STILL KEEPIN THEM, ANYBODY HAVE ANY THOUGHT'S ??? ( THEY DO LOOK A BIT TOO GOOD )

1 (588).JPG

1 (589).JPG

1 (590).JPG

1 (591).JPG

1 (592).JPG

1 (593).JPG

1 (594).JPG

1 (719).JPG

1 (665).JPG

1 (720).JPG

1 (723).JPG

1 (408).JPG

1 (407).JPG

1 (442).JPG

1 (443).JPG

1 (618).JPG

1 (619).JPG

sweet piece.  *trying not to think of it looking quite so drippy wet with blood*  (lol) 

fwiw ... M.F.Christensen bought his oxblood formula from Leighton, by the way.  And an MFC employee stole the formula from MFC and took it to Akro.   

Thanks Steph; I have read over the years about marble companies, and I expect it applies to glass companies in general, some of the workers changed employers like I change socks. And if a new employee had a headful of formulas or a notebook in his pocket so much the better.  Lawsuits and counter-suits abounded, but it seems that most didn't go far. I think Glass chemistry is pretty basic so the formulas (formulae?) were difficult to keep secret. It is probably because of this churn in the industry and the "industrial espionage", at least in part, that we have such a stunning variety of marbles to collect. Thanks

Bruce

The Fence connectors-strain insulators.  The small one is Alley. I talked to the man who made most of these. They were made on a machine which they called the corn cob machine. They were made only at the Pennsboro location about 1934-1937. Alley sold them as and for radio antenna wire insulators. Hook one end or hole to the house, run the antenna wire through the other hole . Run the radio antenna wire out to a tree or object. Hook the end of the antenna wire to another insulator hole on one end and the other hole is used to attach insulator to tree or object. Alley made them in clear and transparent colors with two shades of blue, green, root beer, and yellow.  The root beer and yellow are very rare. I don't know who made the others or when ?  You can see a big difference in your two. I see more of the others than actual Alley ones. Bill McCaleb found one spot at Pennsboro where he dug out probably 10-15 gallon of them. There were scattered over the site, but Bill found the radio antenna insulator honey hole.

Many people have produced great oxblood old and new. Brian Graham has made oxblood that very few if any can separate from MFC ox. Different shades of oxblood were produced at Jabo for a few years. Some Sammys Mountain marbles has oxblood. Because I made it happen for Bobby Newman in a couple runs.

Vitrolite sheet oxblood.

DSC03865.JPG.698ecf03e0de9948adfc0d0f61b2461d.JPGDSC03870.JPG.3f15b3decd63df59945dab2ecf85aba5.JPGDSC03866.JPG.46d64fc7a839593e57934ab568afff3f.JPGDSC03867.JPG.46fc63ea52b41eaab938fd5d0612915d.JPG

1 hour ago, wvrons said:

The Fence connectors-strain insulators.  The small one is Alley. I talked to the man who made most of these. They were made on a machine which they called the corn cob machine. They were made only at the Pennsboro location about 1934-1937. Alley sold them as and for radio antenna wire insulators. Hook one end or hole to the house, run the antenna wire through the other hole . Run the radio antenna wire out to a tree or object. Hook the end of the antenna wire to another insulator hole on one end and the other hole is used to attach insulator to tree or object. Alley made them in clear and transparent colors with two shades of blue, green, root beer, and yellow.  The root beer and yellow are very rare. I don't know who made the others or when ?  You can see a big difference in your two. I see more of the others than actual Alley ones. Bill McCaleb found one spot at Pennsboro where he dug out probably 10-15 gallon of them. There were scattered over the site, but Bill found the radio antenna insulator honey hole.

Thank's for the info Ron, I knew I held onto those for a reason, I've got another beat up one some where around, will post when I find, Alley also I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, I'llhavethat1 said:

Lawn bowls (a bit of a stretch to be marble related... but hey, they're round!) 

20200917_200316.jpg

Seen some @ the show with a bunch of carpet bowl's, so they must qualify. A little further to the left and ya coulda got them "foos bowl's too".