Marble related stuff ???

Chad G.

Just got some new cases. All Brazilian hardwoods. Of the two coffin boxes, one is Padauk & the other is Red heart. The 6 count wood is called Bubinga & finally the 39 hole is Wenge wood, really heavy it feels like a piece of iron, 5/8ts, 11/16ths & the top row is 3/4ths. Fantastic workmanship, I can't wait to get some more custom ones for my big handmade Germans. I am extremely happy with the quality & the attention to detail, you might know who made these, he makes a lot of boxes, Phil  Thomas from Iowa. His prices are more than reasonable, I've seen his boxes both at the marble show & on Ebay. I'm gonna get some CNC work on the lids of once I settle on what I'm gonna fill em with.

DSC02976.JPG

DSC02982.JPG

DSC02985.JPG

DSC02981.JPG

DSC02980.JPG

DSC02987.JPG

DSC02989.JPG

DSC02992.JPG

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Ric said:

Those are really nice cases - the wood is great, especially that 39 count.

"Thanks Ric" I waited for a reputable box maker before getting any, Phil has been around a while & I've seen his work several times, the boxes are build like tanks & very accurate for a handmade box, I wanted cnc boxes but I just won't pay that much. The 39 hole is my favorite also, reminds me of ebony wood. Ah !! what am I talkin about, I like em all.

45 minutes ago, Berryb said:

Diggin through my stuff the other day and found this Chinese Checker board. Kind of a nice one, looks to be cherry. Thanks

Bruce

chi checker board2.jpg

chi checker board1.jpg

Nice board Bruce :thup: :thup:

yeah buddy, I collect Chinese Checker boards, looks like cedar. My favorites are the old cardboard ones with the killer graphics & of course the wooden one but I also have quite a few tin also. I'll try and get a good bunch together for a pic. I just tried last week to make one for my aunt out of pine, it clogged the bit and screwed up on the first hole, maybe a little harder wood, I have a template and everything, you have to get every exactly right, I even messed up on the aggravation board I tried to make, same story "Pine" I found, is not a good wood to use.

:character-smileys-238:...........

Not cedar, Looks like cherry, possibly maple. Yer right, Pine is tough to work with, at least for drillin' dimples. Hard wood, sharp bits and a drill press are needed. Even with a template you should put in pilot holes with an awl first and then a small bit. I've tried to do stuff like this freehand and it ends up lookin' like I did it with my teeth. Thanks
Bruce

I drilled 2 sets of pilots but for that 7/16ths just not gonna work, way to soft, good thing it was cheap,  very nice board Bruce, that thig is exacting. I had a press just not ready to tackle a couple hundred holes and one mistake and it's over. They named the game right "aggravation"  I know I'll never use a soft wood again, and yes it looked like I chewed a hole in the wood, take care.

Chad

On 3/13/2021 at 12:03 PM, Berryb said:

Diggin through my stuff the other day and found this Chinese Checker board. Kind of a nice one, looks to be cherry. Thanks

Bruce

chi checker board2.jpg

Nice board. Most likely made by students. Berea is a work college - no tuition, every student has a job. They have educated many who might otherwise not be able to afford college. They have (maybe had) a gift shop where they sell student-made toys, crafts and other stuff to support the college. They also made a marble tic-tac-toe game with marble storage. I have on stored away around here somewhere.

6 hours ago, Berryb said:

Try using somethin' like this. This one is made for a brace but you get the idea. They make a round one as well, which is what I would try if I was gonna make a game board. Thanks

Bruce

reamer.jpg

I seen this type and the rounded one, in fact I probably looked at every bit they had. Appreciate the advice, will try for sure, I'll just use the same old piece of pine until I find something that works  :thup:  :thup:

Thanks Bruce,

Chad G.

17 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Im not so good at this lol 

But I bet Chad G can. I think he is a "watcher" from what I read in the lounge 😁

Chad'll be looking a good long time to find Waldo in this pic. lol

And I'll give you a hint . . . huge arched windows full of marbles! If I saw that place as a kid, I probably wouldn't have been able to control myself. Can you imagine how awesome that must have been, especially if you were 3-4 ft tall? Wow!

Wow it must have been amazing. Do you think they just bulldozed it

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Chad'll be looking a good long time to find Waldo in this pic. lol

And I'll give you a hint . . . huge arched windows full of marbles! If I saw that place as a kid, I probably wouldn't have been able to control myself. Can you imagine how awesome that must have been, especially if you were 3-4 ft tall? Wow!

down after..

9 hours ago, Tommy said:

Wow it must have been amazing. Do you think they just bulldozed it

down after..

That's a really good question, Tommy. Truck loads of marbles were used constructing the place. Maybe they just dumped them in the lake and let the kids find them as they washed up on the beach or maybe they're now entombed in the concrete of Navy Pier.

Postcards are like little tidbits of history. It's interesting to me that the card was postmarked in Otsego and delivered to Allegan, which is about a 15 minute drive away - today. For most folks In 1910, it was probably a 5 hour walk or a good horse ride, because these were small towns, I doubt there was train service, and only rich people had those fancy horseless carriages.