Thüringen Thursday

Steph

25 minutes ago, I'llhavethat1 said:

Cool, don't recall seeing the clock before let alone two.  Any instructions with the game?  Box say UK on it somewhere?

I do not own one of these so I am not sure. I just remembered seeing one when I was looking at tiddley winks games at some point in the past. The thing I remember most is thinking to myself, "How in the world would you flip a wink into one of those depressions"!?

Here is a link to an old Ebay listing that has much better photos, including instructions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ric said:

I do not own one of these so I am not sure. I just remembered seeing one when I was looking at tiddley winks games at some point in the past. The thing I remember most is thinking to myself, "How in the world would you flip a wink into one of those depressions"!?

Here is a link to an old Ebay listing that has much better photos, including instructions.

Thanks for solving the mystery Ric!!!

'Glevum Series' on the box instructions means it was made by Roberts Bros of Gloucester 1890-1956. Major English games maker including solitaire boards - I have a few boxed examples.

But sadly Clock Tidley is not a marbles board so I'll have to find another home for those 1 1/2" mibs - oh well...........🤣

Time for a solitaire board this week.image.thumb.jpeg.484d51407ede517747d17e3811e00c76.jpeg

Its a late 19th Century boxed Jaques set with 9/16" onions. Jaques must have thought these blue pink and green onions looked good on their mahogany boards and bought lots in from Thuringen. I've had three sets with this combination and one all pink and one all green.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • Award 1

Carrying an example around is a very good idea. I have a pocket marble too but it's hardly a functional marble and it's not German so I won't post it here. I can understand having a soft spot for a beat up old German handmade though . . .

https://marbleconnection.com/uploads/monthly_2021_04/Ric302.jpg.bae60173412cb238dae6d443b28b7235.jpg

I have had this one for decades and I doubt I'll ever part with it.

• Like 4