Thüringen Thursday

Steph

4 hours ago, crashbelt said:

I bought these 32 marbles without a board many years ago. Almost certainly from an original set - 32 x 9/16" marbles. Same colours, pontils etc. The only surprise is the one Lutz - my hunch is that it may well have been originally part of the set but I'll never know.

I've only ever seen two original all Lutz boards - one in a Stan Block book and one owned by my board collector pal Tom.

I put this set on a spare imitation (I think) slate board I had. I don't know anything about it so welcome any thoughts.

image.thumb.jpeg.1ac0d1ec6e77cfb7f43454b412bc917a.jpeg

Nice board & mibs David  :thup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric said:

Another beautiful group of marbles. Since the lutz does look a little out of place and yet you think it might be original to the set, I was wondering if there is any chance that it may have been a center marble originally, and that one of the other "players" went missing. I understand that boards were often sold with a ceramic center marbles, but do you know if any boards were originally packaged with center marbles that were "fancier" than the players? It seems like it would have set them apart from most of the other boards available.

Interesting theory Ric. Certainly the WSSpear boards had the 'red man' (dyed clay) in the centre hole because the surviving boxes refer to it in the rules. 

I don't know of other documented examples but I couldn't resist grabbing a match from the stash and popping the lutz in the middle!!20230622_135522.thumb.jpg.a5e784ecfa1c7c448f3129acca3ed3be.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crashbelt said:

I don't know of other documented examples but I couldn't resist grabbing a match from the stash and popping the lutz in the middle!!

It makes sense to me, and it looks nice too!

It really is an intriguing board. Is it wood? The designs are very interesting - I'm not quite sure what to think of them. It looks like a bit of a nautical theme. I like the cherubic character. Can you read what it says on the "globe" upper left? Are there any other markings on the board?

Many of you know that I am fond of marble-themed engravings. Here is another that is yet to be framed . . .

Ric-MarbleMillsOnUntersberg-ca1875.thumb.jpg.6a82890ef64a94b24aa04ce0e3fef59d.jpg

The Marble Mills on the Untersberg. Captured from Nature by R. (Richard) Püttner ca. 1875 (colored wood engraving)

• Like 3
  • Award 2

11 hours ago, crashbelt said:

. . . I put this set on a spare imitation (I think) slate board I had. I don't know anything about it so welcome any thoughts.

Some faux ivory scrimshaw (resin) boards from the 1970s have identical decorations and are variously described as "John Adams E. Pluribus Unum" boards. They are apparently based on a 17th century original.

Kind of witty, since the point of the game is "E. Pluribus Unum". lol

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ric said:

Some faux ivory scrimshaw (resin) boards from the 1970s have identical decorations and are variously described as "John Adams E. Pluribus Unum" boards. They are apparently based on a 17th century original.

Kind of witty, since the point of the game is "E. Pluribus Unum". lol

Yes Ric - it does have nautical images and the words E Pluribus Unum and John Adams. I think its probably resin, like the faux ivory Scrimshaws, but modelled and coloured to imitate slate. Thanks for clearing this up!

I might change the marbles on to a spare board of the right age.

1 hour ago, crashbelt said:

I might change the marbles on to a spare board of the right age . . .

I would too. From what I have enjoyed seeing of your collection, this board doesn't even come close to making the grade.

It'd sure be awesome to see a 17th century scrimshaw or slate board that is similar though. I have to imagine it would be in a museum somewhere. Have you ever seen such a thing? What is the oldest or most ornate board you know of?

• Like 1

I had a very nice spare mahogany board with bun feet. Funny that this set is now in much better shape than when I posted it yesterday!! Thanks Ric.20230623_122934.thumb.jpg.90a7b7cd76474d848513beae268572f7.jpg

I've read about pictures showing the game being played in France in late 1600s. I've seen images of British boards from early1800s but they're peg not marble solitaire. I've heard of a Grenier original set which would presumably be the oldest glass marble solitaire. Some of the fanciest are the Staffordshire Potteries ceramic boards like the one with Lutzes in Stan Blocks Marble Mania book p37. But I think that was a peg board too with Lutzes added later.

I've never seen an original Scrimshaw but it's somewhere if it survives. It would be great if someone here has seen one!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crashbelt said:

I had a very nice spare mahogany board with bun feet. Funny that this set is now in much better shape than when I posted it . . .

The marbles really do look much more at home on that beautiful board. 🙂

An original Grenier set surely would be something to behold!

And thanks for the reference, to Marble Mania, I hadn't looked at that book for years and that board is a beauty!

Here's where my collection started! 1991 wandering around Edinburgh antique shops, one Summer during the annual festival, came across this for not much £££s. Back then I just had one small jar of Germans!

I had no idea I'd scored a very fine early John Jaques mahogany board with mint faceted 11/16" swirls. It looked so beautiful I was hooked and the rest is solitaire board history.

Happy Thuringen Thursday and I should add that having now posted my 50 or so best boards here at Marble Connection I'll have to start thinking of new angles for my Thursday posts (or find more boards.....................)

20230214_102708.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

What is this?
 All this attention for a Bennington?
Absolutely right—I love-em.
This one is just under 1 ¼”—a biggie. It may have been made in Germany---or not—:wub:.
Collect what you like and ----:confetti:
Marble---On!!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

• Like 3

On 6/29/2023 at 1:48 PM, crashbelt said:

Here's where my collection started! 1991 wandering around Edinburgh antique shops, one Summer during the annual festival . . .

Such a beautiful set, and a very memorable way to start your collection. Was it found during the Festival Fringe?

Yes Ric - we used to go to the Edinburgh Festival every year. Back in the 90s it was a good hunting ground for solitaire boards and German marbles. We still go but haven't had a good find in years. I'm just so lucky to have been collecting in the UK 20-30+ years ago!!

I gathered one example of each of the different colour mica boards I have for a group shot. All found in the UK in the 90s so likely all original. They are green light amber dark amber (brown) aqua blue cobalt blue clear and purple. Now wheres the red one:blink:20230701_120655.thumb.jpg.9da83d22369804e4b9b4a2afde1b6546.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Award 1