Thüringen Thursday

Steph

52 minutes ago, crashbelt said:

Here's a rather bashed old soldier - but interesting with the green and white latt strands.

Definitely an interesting marble - the latticino is pretty unusual. Thanks for showing it!

• Like 1

This came from a lady who brought it from Germany and her "Childhood favorite". . It seems to be A Transitional, Hand-gathered, Machine-made even with a few flecks of mica inside the green.

I think it was about 1991-3 when I'd met her so, I reckon it was about 1910 when her family immigrated. I've never seen any other like this in all that time.

IMG_0415.thumb.JPG.fa5e69fdfd76daf823b4e235367a8392.JPG

IMG_0424.thumb.JPG.b89c08e63a0b8ff3fe052eeb977754b0.JPGIMG_0421.thumb.JPG.de708f70996c2d7808aea73749d64881.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff54 said:

I've never seen any other like this in all that time.

This is one that I have not seen before......maybe just hand gathered with no machine involved other than the hand held devices used to make it round—(which could be called machines—in my book---at the least back then)
Nice marble!!! Nice find!!!
Marble—On!!

1 hour ago, Jeff54 said:

This came from a lady who brought it from Germany and her "Childhood favorite". . It seems to be A Transitional, Hand-gathered, Machine-made even with a few flecks of mica inside the green . . .

Cool marble - kind of odd. It appears to have way more than it's fair share of white, and it's hard to tell, but it does kind of look like a crude folded "pontil". How would you classify it?

2 hours ago, Jeff54 said:

with a few flecks of mica inside the green.

Mica or what?

Green glass in marbles has always carried some flecks of sparkles here and there--regardless of the time period--even to this day.

I would still consider this as a hand gathered rarity--the transparency in the green has me baffled--Nice bright white--recipe stuff as far as I would consider.

Nice marble regardless!!

Thanks for sharing it--I hope that you get some answers.

Marble--On!!

44 minutes ago, Joe2 said:

Possibly variant Spotted Dick 3/4"

Cool marble, it looks like a Bennington type to me. Some of them have that shiny, almost iridescent metallic-looking, glaze that is quite different than the more typical ones. At least, I think that's what I'm seeing here. 🙂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ric said:

Cool marble, it looks like a Bennington type to me. Some of them have that shiny, almost iridescent metallic-looking, glaze that is quite different than the more typical ones. At least, I think that's what I'm seeing here. 🙂

x2, seeing Bennington also

• Like 2

Here's a favourite from the very first jar of German handmades I bought in Edinburgh in a vintage toy shop. Must have been 1991 when I was up for the Edinburgh Festival that Summer.

Its 1" and in perfect condition (those are just reflections in the pic). Still love this one 32 years on!!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.1399c0abc28c6f7426a32126e59e658c.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, crashbelt said:

Here's a favourite from the very first jar of German handmades I bought in Edinburgh in a vintage toy shop. Must have been 1991 when I was up for the Edinburgh Festival that Summer.

Its 1" and in perfect condition (those are just reflections in the pic). Still love this one 32 years on!!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.1399c0abc28c6f7426a32126e59e658c.jpeg

Nice mib David   :pirate:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, crashbelt said:

I don't know about agates Ric - is it dyed that colour?

Yes, it is dyed. Some can be dyed blue too. I think they often used the more drab white/gray stones for dying since they were not as attractive as the stones with better color and the dyed color came out better using the lighter-colored stones.

• Like 1