Let's get our Claws out on this subject

akroorka

Ok, massive 2-1/4 “ glass orbs fit into a heavy chunk of cast iron, they were probably nickel plated on top of that. How did they do this?? They will not budge at all. Tight fit for sure. 100 years old or more.

Any insight/opinions is/are welcome.

Draw your claws out. Let’s see some more—I know that you have them. How can any marble geek pass on them

Marble—On!!! and claw feet on for sure!!

PA070093 (2).JPG

• Like 1

Good topic.  It's come up before but I don't recall anything definitive other than the patent. 

What's the "nub" coming down from the claw on yours? 

Claw feet were often on piano stools in that era. 

My understanding is the earlier ones spun freely (like casters).  Not  "bullet mold" or tight like yours but the principle is the same (minimal contact area makes it easier to move) .  2-1/4" was a good size for back then and makes me wonder where those glass spheres were produced and/or imported from.  I've seen some examples that look very much like German marbles,

20211007_224032.jpg20211007_224201.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, I'llhavethat1 said:

Good topic.  It's come up before but I don't recall anything definitive other than the patent. 

What's the "nub" coming down from the claw on yours? 

Claw feet were often on piano stools in that era. 

My understanding is the earlier ones spun freely (like casters).  Not  "bullet mold" or tight like yours but the principle is the same (minimal contact area makes it easier to move) .  2-1/4" was a good size for back then and makes me wonder where those glass spheres were produced and/or imported from.  I've seen some examples that look very much like German marbles,

20211007_224032.jpg20211007_224201.jpg

The nubs are actually empty spaces inside of the glass. The first images show the top of one from inside of the chamber of the foot. It must be part of the glass making process, as it serves no purpose, at least in this application. I have four of these from the same set and the “nubs” are all a little bit different in size and depth. One of them has a lump of glass at the perimeter of the hole.

The second image shows a leg that is original to the set. I have come to the conclusion that it was a set of legs to a “Candle Table”. I only ever had the legs. The angle of the wear on the balls and the way that the legs attach to the feet point towards an angled leg attached to a smaller square table. Perhaps 24’x24”.

The third images show that they are a four talon foot. All are very tight an immoveable. The glass shows that old world UV reactiveness.

I have had these for years, figuring that I would find a use for them sooner or later. The other two are now ends to a large curtain rod. Yes they are sitting on old tack holders/racks as well--I love this old stuff and repurpose when I can.

Marble—On!!!

ballfeet A.JPG

ballfeet B.JPG

ballfeet C.JPG

ballfeetD.JPG

The seam indicates to me these might be from a mold ?? The "nub" must serve some purpose ?? Maybe the glass was pushed onto the "nub" hot while held in a mold ?? Dunno really, I've seen the piano stools w/ actual sulphides and other Germans as well as the held in place versions  like yours but never as large, usually around an inch, give or take, I have pix of a few sets on stools around here somewhere, I'll try and drudge them up. Well I found the pix, a 4 legged piano stool w claw feet and 4 clear molded mibs just like the ones you have but only 1" there on my flip phone which doesn't have a chip in it and refuses to send an Email, time to skip it out across the water, all the pix I have on it are worthless just like the phone, th guy at the store said you couldn't give him a phone like that now I knw why , I'll hang on to it but not for long !!!!!

Bluetooth? Transfer files to a PC through a USB cord? Don't give up on those images yet.

There is always someone out there on the web with way more tech knowledge than we may think. I just transfered some files via blutooth from my old---yes flip-phone to a new flip-phone.

"The seam indicates to me these might be from a mold ?? The "nub" must serve some purpose ?? Maybe the glass was pushed onto the "nub" hot while held in a mold ??" 

Definitely a possibility--great thinking. Different sized holders would explain the different sized “nubs”. Some glass on one of them suggests that it may have been pushed out into a little pile next to the hole. I cannot image that one though.

Marble—On!!

Still researching the ones that I posted at the top. The ones that I have are just over 1# a piece. The feet/talons are hollow. I found a set online that matched mine but they claimed that they held 3" orbs. Still no clue on how they got those things inside of the foot.

I figure on Chads suggestion that they(the orbs) may have been "annealed" or gradually cooled inside of the mold on some kind of rod, hence the "nubs".

I would love to see some more.

Thanks and Marble--On!!!

A couple large ones  I have that are three inch marbles and a couple of one inch ones. All have brass holder claws. The large marbles were made in a mold as you can see the seam or mold mark around the outside middle. The smaller ones are one inch, a yellow latticino and a sold core.  I have seen the one inch clear mold ones on many piano stool legs. 

DSC05131.JPG.fd03cd55293cca57a16d7a2d543f8c94.JPGDSC05137.JPG.2c4546296b821c6ec6a67023c3b4f3ec.JPGDSC05143.JPG.b44b5f20c79b08876ef38a99998b0efd.JPGDSC05133.JPG.22fc3d8547b140d939632a69140422bd.JPGDSC05135.JPG.ddd6665ea6bee56bda2e8f6cf345ce97.JPGDSC05145.JPG.b10345a5d3bbac53bd5a5d6752175040.JPGDSC05132.JPG.cbf2b2b0d45a33844aae2df9c62a09d3.JPGDSC05138.JPG.17fc5e47e5aed1ceb9aa49621cdbf362.JPGDSC05141.JPG.cdbed43f9344f56493278be138a19e05.JPGDSC05140.JPG.e5e8d0b549ac2832bee1f6749919e5ca.JPG

• Like 3

Great examples for sure Ron.

The ones with the face--gargoyle? are pretty cool and big for sure. I put a magnet on mine to make sure--it stuck like it would on the train tracks.

Google these and you will be amazed at the different styles and applications. Still no clue on how they got these inside of a cast iron foot. I'll use them for something--I see a new marble stand coming.

Marble--On!!

• 4 weeks later...