Master Tiger's eye?

William

1 hour ago, William said:

So these are probably just Master cats then I assume...like em though! Thanks all 👍

I think the big brushed Masters are a great example how the market was changing at the time. IMHO :D

I think they are awesome 👌 

• Like 1
  • Award 1

More research on the term Tiger eyes may be needed.

I realize that the posted item is regarded as a "Tiger Eye" by collectors---a very nice marble no doubt.

I do recall some past discussions about a variety of this type of marble in various color combo's being call tiger eye types. If Master Marble called them this, I cannot recall. They are more than likely just a clear open sided version of "Sunbursts"----or not.

Marble--On!!

• Like 1
  • Award 1

8 minutes ago, akroorka said:

I realize that the posted item is regarded as a "Tiger Eye" by collectors---a very nice marble no doubt.

I do recall some past discussions about a variety of this type of marble in various color combo's being call tiger eye types. If Master Marble called them this, I cannot recall. They are more than likely just a clear open sided version of "Sunbursts"----or not.

Marble--On!!

Yes, there are many Master Tigers eye types in the same  "Family" as some say, very similar. Whereas Vitro, for example has a much wider spectrum using the all encompassing Tigers eye name, a true "Land of confusion" to many new and some seasoned collectors as well. All in good time I guess !!

• Award 1

I am not sure Master had any Tiger Eye labeled type marble by the company. I think Master Tiger Eye always referred to the clear base orange, black and white colors striations like above, which the colors can be wide or more narrow. Some like a patch style, cat eye style and some more like sparkler style. But always clear base with bright, orange, black and white, some do not have the white. 

Vitro Tiger Eye marbles are totally different.   There are also stone agates called Tiger Eye.  Some Cat Eye marbles were called Tiger Eye.   

Different types of marbles are labeled Tiger Eye. Different companies have certain marbles labeled by company or collectors as Tiger Eye.

I don't think there is a big family of Master Tiger Eye marbles. I think they are all clear base with the same color combination.

• Like 2
  • Award 1

7 hours ago, William said:

So these are probably just Master cats then I assume...like em though! Thanks all 👍

Though I have seen them in bags labeled Cat's Eye.  I don't think they're "just Master cats".  I could be wrong.  Maybe that's the name Master always intended to sell them under.  

But the typical Master cat as a single color in the clear base.  

• Like 2
  • Award 1

10 hours ago, akroorka said:

Marble--On!!

Open sided Sunburst is another possible thought I suppose....being that these 3 marbles, as big as they are, the end product was the clear open sides instead of more color coverage? Hmmm....this is all interesting and valuable information for me. 

4 hours ago, William said:

Open sided Sunburst is another possible thought I suppose....being that these 3 marbles, as big as they are, the end product was the clear open sides instead of more color coverage? Hmmm....this is all interesting and valuable information for me. 

Sunbursts were a distinct style when introduced in 1930 by Master Marble.  Tommy's Tiger Eye fits into that early era.  After a few years Master Marble styles started become more fuzzy.  They didn't match the advertising definitions anymore.   I don't even try to put the Sunburst name on most of the marbles from the late 1930's though I know many of our collecting comrades do.  

Then in 1941 Master reorganized as Master Glass.  

Your marbles are from the Master Glass era.  Far separated in time from anything I would try to fit under the Sunburst umbrella.  I have absolutely no idea what the company's name for them was.  It might indeed have been Cat's Eye since they did sometimes appear in Cat's Eye packaging.    But at near an inch, with all that color they're much more special than the run of the mill Master cat. 

• Like 1

Thank you for all the input on these marbles, everyone. At the least we have the time frame narrowed down. Though there is yet a name per say, for them (as it is unknown thus far), knowing they could be unique and part of a specific family or run is food for thought and research. It would be interesting to find out how long Master Glass made them, especially at this size. Thanks again for your efforts and information 😊

Lets just be carefull with attributing any names to marbles packaged in Master Glass Cat's Eye bags.

It is hard enough describing what a Master Glass Cat's eye looks like,(funky works for me) let alone the fact that they used these bags at the end for quite a variety of marbles, clearies included.

Marble-On!!

• Like 1

Alox bought these from Master, then repackaged them and sold them. When Alox discovered that they were being cheated after several orders on what they received. Master was including broken marbles and some scrap glass in the bottom of the boxes for weight. Most marbles were sold and bought by the pounds. That is when Alox decided that they would learn how, obtain the equipment and workers to make their own marbles. So Alox contacted Ravenswood Novelty and Alley Agate and not long after Alox was producing marbles.  The marble machines came from WV. Even the marble machine workers all came to Alox from WV.  

• Like 2
  • Award 1

22 hours ago, akroorka said:

Lets just be carefull with attributing any names to marbles packaged in Master Glass Cat's Eye bags.

It is hard enough describing what a Master Glass Cat's eye looks like,(funky works for me) let alone the fact that they used these bags at the end for quite a variety of marbles, clearies included.

Marble-On!!

Could this marble be one of those clearies? I was thinking that it was possibly an Akro, but there was a thin thread that I didn't see until I shined a blacklight on it. It's .76". I drew lines where the seems sort of are. One is straighter than the other. 

778E5B11-0355-46C8-85B2-8221B87E9344.JPG