Cactus flowers...

Tommy

My mother gave me a cactus once.Β  I was living in Oklahoma.Β  She brought it up from South Texas.Β  I felt so guilty for not loving it.Β  Β I didn't love any plants at the time, but I wasn't bringing them home with me.Β  I had no idea what to do with a cactus in my dorm room.Β  Β :(

Your flowers areΒ  beautiful.Β Β 

• Like 1

I used to have a collection of cacti, but when I moved they weren't to thrilled. I think I'm the only one who actually killed a bunch of cacti. Β I really felt bad. A few did survive, and I made sure that I gave them to someone who lived in an environment they were used to. Cactus and their flowers are amazing!

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2022 at 6:46 AM, Steph said:

My mother gave me a cactus once.Β  I was living in Oklahoma.Β  She brought it up from South Texas.Β  I felt so guilty for not loving it.Β  Β I didn't love any plants at the time, but I wasn't bringing them home with me.Β  I had no idea what to do with a cactus in my dorm room.Β  Β :(

Your flowers areΒ  beautiful.Β Β 

Thank you Steph πŸ‘Β 

I wish it would rain here after about a week allot of the cactus out in the wild bloom ...I will get a pic if it ever rains here😁

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Wow. Beautiful.

Because of the flowers, I got into cacti for a short while back in the 70s. Made a fatal mistake.Β  Although I always used gloves when planting them, one time I didn`t, because it looked like it was covered in soft fuzz. Felt soft when I picked it up and planted it. Didn`t realize how stupid I had been until I touched something else with my left (cactus-holding) hand. Yipped and then started howling. Took my father over an hour with tweezers and a strong light to pick out all the almost-microscopic barbs. End of my cactus-owning career.

Yes, there are many cacti that you can safely touch even without gloves since, either they are without thorns (not all cacti have them) or they are small and curved, therefore harmless, or they can have large and pointed thorns but if touched gently they do not cause any damage.

Sometimes, I like to touch their thorns with my whole hand (gently, of course) to feel their protection.

The only plants that I never touch are the prickly pear, since (as I mentioned in the thread above) they have very small and tiny transparent thorns called "glochids" that if they come into contact with the skin they can hardly be removed, even with tweezers!Β  Β In fact, I don't grow prickly pear very much, precisely for this reason.

Anyway, for all the other cacti there is absolutely no problem, since I keep pointed tweezers (needle, professional steel) so that if they accidentally get into the skin of my hand, I can easily remove them using a glasses lens,.... it's all about being prepared.

Β 

Good Tommy specimens.

For the moment I do not own those with wool "old man's head"..... in Italian ( Cephalocereus senilis) but I will buy them.

I see that you have some variegated, (yellow, since they are free of chlorophyll) rather delicate to grow, especially frank, usually they sell them grafted.

I have one similar to your first, I think it is from the family "Echinocactus" long plug, while mine has white thorns

Correct, yours must be a sferocactus with those pinkish spines, but always long-plug

Β 

Β 

DSCN0914.JPG

DSCN0912.JPG

DSCN0909.JPG

• Like 1