Cold Case Marble File

B-rett66

IMG_0206.jpeg.9d396cad8d75ad3b07d125c37fc14eee.jpegWay back in November 2023 on my 3rd post I put this marble on the I.D. section asking for help and several responses were given. There was really no identification but rather what it wasn’t. Fair enough, some are hard to I.D. Since then I’ve been able to take a little bit better photo and increased my search ability and knowledge. I have several I’m still investigating like this one and eventually I hope to nail them down. This evening I was trying out a new google photo search feature on my phone and came across, once again a post on the Marble Connection archive post talking about European Whispler marbles. Most of them seem to be clear base but I have seen some more on the lines of opaque. This mable looks to be opaque but I think it’s actually a clear base. You can see into the marble with a good back light but is not very evident from the picture. The first pic is one I found in the archive and the rest are mine. Does anyone have some good shots of some Whisplers. The pics are from both ends and the size is consistenty .618 just a little shy of 5/8. Thanks again for the help. 

IMG_0209.jpeg

IMG_0210.jpeg

IMG_0211.jpeg

IMG_0212.jpeg

IMG_0213.jpeg

• Like 3

Well, It is not a "Whispler" imho.
The images are still hard to define.
There do appear to be some possible “Pontil Marks”.
Until you get a clearer image of the cutlines---
I will call this one a Master Made Marble.
Marble—On!!

I can't swear not Master, but my first thought was Asian because of the texture, the little snowflakes near the surface, and that pinched cut mark.  

• Like 2

Ok, I think we may have solved this one. And once again I’m referring to Marble Alan’s page this time under Master Marble. Quote “ All marbles, produced by Master Marble and Master Glass, utilize the same type of machinery, which was similar to that used by Akro but which never involved the “freeze” improvement that eliminated cut off marks at polls by offsetting the rollers. Therefore all Master Marbles, even the Clearies  and Opaque possesses tiny cut marks and feathering at the poles. These crimps will occur in conjunction with the seams, which usually form there at either pole. Generally, the U-shaped seams occur on older examples, Master Marble, while the V-shaped seams are associated with later ones Master Glass. An additional method, and perhaps more reliable one to differentiate between Master Marble and Master Glass marbles is that generally brighter colors or employed on the former, while the duller colors were used in the latter, this trait is on most American machine made marbles which switch to cheaper and therefore less vibrant colors during the 30s.”   

Shew, that’s a lot of writing. So I’ll have to look a little closer to see if it’s a “ V “ shape cut seam but its definitely duller colors. Master Glass Marble in my opinion. Any takers? Again thanks for putting up with my questions and guiding me in a very helpful direction. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, B-rett66 said:

I agree with pinched cut marks. I think the snow flakes are hit marks to be honest. A good clear pic would sure help. There is nothing like seeing it in person. 

Yeah, maybe a close-up would help ... or a magnifying glass on your end.   I'm still thinking as-mades on the white bits.  Would take more detail to change what my eye thinks it's seeing.

• Like 1

Ok everyone, first of all, I’d like to say thank you for your help on this marble. I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but I did promise to try and get some better pictures and I think I may have. Steph I think the snow flakes are air bubbles close to the surface that have cracked but are still intact. They are close to other bubbles that you can somewhat see. I think it would take a microscope to see that. LOL That’s just my opinion.  I hope you all have enjoyed this post and discussion as much as I have. I can’t wait to open this and every thread I’ve started or participated in to see what others have to say. 

IMG_0281.jpeg

IMG_0280.jpeg

IMG_0279.jpeg

IMG_0276.jpeg

IMG_0277.jpeg

IMG_0275.jpeg

IMG_0278.jpeg

IMG_0273.jpeg

IMG_0274.jpeg

IMG_0270.jpeg

IMG_0271.jpeg

IMG_0272.jpeg

IMG_0269.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Award 1

The one thing that I look for in Master Made Marbles is very few flaws.
Master Made Marbles are without a doubt in my mind, some of the best, most rounded and flawless marbles made.

They all could take a hit and much more—some of the best players ever made.
If this one is out of round by even a bit—it is not a Master Made Marble imho.
I am starting to think that this one may just be a hand-gathered marble of some sort.
I appreciate all opinions and hope to see some more.
Marble—On!!

One things for sure, I’m going to remember it as a Transitional Imperial Master. Sort of a Shogun Warrior. 🥷 Thanks all, I had a lot of fun with this one. If anything I learned how to take a little better picture with my phone. LOL 

1 hour ago, akroorka said:

The one thing that I look for in Master Made Marbles is very few flaws.
Master Made Marbles are without a doubt in my mind, some of the best, most rounded and flawless marbles made.

They all could take a hit and much more—some of the best players ever made.
If this one is out of round by even a bit—it is not a Master Made Marble imho.
I am starting to think that this one may just be a hand-gathered marble of some sort.
I appreciate all opinions and hope to see some more.
Marble—On!!

I’m going to measure it again. If I’m not mistaken it was .618 all the way around.