Id Help On Swirl ???

Steph

I think I am close to solving my picture taking problems. It's been so hard in a 100-year-old house with such a wasted electrical grid that 75 W bulbs blow out if you don't think happy thoughts while toggling the light switch ... but I think I'm getting there. So here:

The majority opinion obtained through a smattering of emails has been that this is a Jabo with furnace junk stuck in it. I just cannot believe that though. That so-called junk is in each of these two marbles, and is practically the same shape and in practically the same location. It is a neat bar of glass which appears to me to be deliberately placed. It is translucent on one marble and near-opaque off-white on the other. Its position on both marbles is at or very near one end of what appears to be to be the single ribbon of color.

Does anyone have an example photo they could post of a Jabo that is anything like this?

Gracias,

Steph

ImbedMarbles-1.jpg

That's pretty wild, Steph. Do these have the typical *hit* marks that are usually found on Jabos? Also, I KNOW that you are familiar with Jabos, determining what they are, and not. I trust your opinion here.

Kris

Thanks Kris. :)

And no, they don't have the dusty little contact marks or sparkle like Jabos tend to have.

Considering when I got these, their condition is quite extraordinary. These are some of my first marbles and I bought them before I learned to baby them. Also before I knew about keeping good records to aid in later identification.

I can narrow the possible sources down quite a bit but not far enough to be able to swear they are not modern.

So which one is the quizzical emoticon! -Steph ;)

Hi Steph---

Although I don't believe that yours are Marble King, the MK that I'm posting has what many call a "Pigtail". I've been told that this particular anomaly has only been seen on MKs.

Hi Lizzy. That's a great picture. Definitely the closest thing I've seen yet to my "anomaly". (Nifty word!)

Your pigtail appears to be multi-colored. Do the colors match with the marble?

That may sound like a *duh* question, but bear with me. I have a definite idea in mind.

Picture a striped sheet on a bed. If it has a serious wrinkle in it, then you might have a wad of extra sheet material gathered above the main sheet. And that wad of sheet might be striped.

At first glance, the striping on the wad of sheet might seem out of sync with the striping of the main sheet underneath it, but you should still be able to tell that it was the same material with the same stripe pattern and it was actually drawn up from the sheet underneath it.

Glass being drawn up in a wrinkle or crimp or pigtail might smear in a way that cloth would not, but there's a good chance that enough of the striping would be preserved that you could see that it was probably pulled up from the main glass of the marble. As opposed to a separate piece of glass being imbedded in the marble.

Does that make sense, and does the coloration of your pigtail match the marble underneath it in that manner?

I see this feature most often on Blended Spidermen, but certainly on other MK's as well. I've always believed that it was caused by an error of the mechanism that cuts the stream of glass to form the seams. It appears to be a shred of glass that retains the integrity of the marble's intended pattern.

Bob

Okay. So, that's really interesting. Lizzy's first pigtail totally looked like it could have matched the glass underneath very closely. There were some differences, but it seemed like it could have been due to smearing or shearing.

On the other hand, Bob's blended spiderman pigtails look like blended spiderman glass but seem definitely out of sync with the glass underneath, so they seem to be last stage imbeds. Errors, if you will.

Steve's pigtail looks most like mine, because it has little or no color, but though it is out of place it still seems like it might match the lightest shade on his mib. So, it could be in the same category as Bob's: a mismatched patch but the same basic glass.

So I've gone back and rechecked my original swirls for signs that my pigtails are integrally related to the rest of the glass in the marble, but those pigtails are definitely not colored like the marbles they have sprouted from.

I'm considering the possibility that there is a clear or translucent but sheer layer of glass over the marble and that these pigtails are made of the same glass as was used for that final layer. Yet I'm still struck by the similarity between the positioning of the pigtails on these two marbles, and by the fact that they seem to tie off the ribbon of color somehow. So I keep asking myself if this could possibly be coincidence or if the pigtails could possibly be intrinsically related to how these marbles were made.

By the way, I haven't heard anyone voting that these are jabo. Is everyone agreed they're probably not?

Steph

Hey here is mine, it is actually three pieces and looks spiderman material too but does not match up......as far as the first marbles go, I always say Jabo if I don't know what it is........haha......do I see a butt crack there?..............pax Jon

post-181-1161626951_thumb.jpg

post-181-1161626984_thumb.jpg

Hey here is mine, it is actually three pieces and looks spiderman material too but does not match up......as far as the first marbles go, I always say Jabo if I don't know what it is........haha......do I see a butt crack there?..............pax Jon

Definitely a butt crack! More pronounced on one than on the other.

I'd been calling the butt cheeks "lobes" when describing them in emails to friends, but no one knew what I was talking about. Now that I know that proper terminology, maybe we'll get somewhere! ;)

Here's a shot highlighting the cheeks on that first one.

ImbedMarblesB.jpg

It could be a jabo. It's got the butt crack and the U shape swirl. Both characteristic of jabo.

That puts me back to my first request. If there are Jabos that look like this, I'd like to see a picture. Does this particular butt crack look like a truly Jabo butt crack?

Or do Jabos only wish their butt cracks looked as pretty as this one! :P

I don't feel that the presence of a so called "pigtail" on the glass is indicative or attributable to a single manufacturer. It appears that the glass shear was dull or damaged and a small fragment of glass was left due to the inprecise cut-off of hot glass. Machine-made marble making was/is a huge volume business where the equipment will come out of alignment or develop small (and large) faults during the manufacturing process. I have vintage marble machine parts that show all kinds of wear and breakage that clearly affected the final product.

I wouldn't focus so much on the pigtail - but rather the glass.

Alan

I don't feel that the presence of a so called "pigtail" on the glass is indicative or attributable to a single manufacturer. It appears that the glass shear was dull or damaged and a small fragment of glass was left due to the inprecise cut-off of hot glass. Machine-made marble making was/is a huge volume business where the equipment will come out of alignment or develop small (and large) faults during the manufacturing process. I have vintage marble machine parts that show all kinds of wear and breakage that clearly affected the final product.

I wouldn't focus so much on the pigtail - but rather the glass.

Alan

Thank you, Alan.

Butt jokes aside, I was looking at the coincidental and seeming purposeful placement of the so-called pigtails in essentially the same place on both of the marbles I was trying to identify.

I was thinking of the "pigtails" as "insets" because they look to be quite distinct from the glass in the rest of the marble. Since the glass of the pigtails/insets is so different from the rest of the marble, this doesn't look to me like a shearing error.

And, yes, I want people to look at the glass. Both in the pigtails and in the rest of the marble. Kris started talking about that, and allowed me to point out one difference between my mibs and the stereotypical Jabo.

But once again, the abstract fact that Jabos can have U-shaped swirls and wrinkled glass seems to trump the discussion. If my marble looks so much like a Jabo, I want to see the Jabo it looks like! So far all the Jabos that I know are Jabos suffer in a side-by-side comparison to these. I'm open-minded, and I want to know the truth, and if these are Jabos, okay, but if they are someone should be able to produce a picture that really looks like them. Not just words about shared traits. After all, even Akros and CACs and Pelts can all have U-shaped swirls and 'butt cracks'.

So, back now to my real specific tangible mibs:

The swirls in my two mibs are simple but very rich and bold.

Further, the 'cheeks' on the first marble make it seem as if the glass was in a unique state of viscosity as it was formed into the basic marble shape. Like folds of taffy or really thick honey. Then after the glass was folded onto itself, it does not look like it went through a traditional rounding process.

I don't know how the machinery works to round out machine-made marbles, but whatever the process is, I don't think it looks like my two swirls went through it. Do you see what I mean?

I ask you very seriously. Since the rest of the thread has devolved into giddy humor, I would like to hear what you think about what you see in the glass in the pix I've posted so far.

I've held onto these marbles for awhile, waiting for some insight, and I'll keep waiting because I think that some expert is going to dig up something that looks just like these at some very old factory site, and I don't want to be crying and saying, "I knew they were special and I wish I had kept them!".

Thanks again,

Steph

IMHO they are rejects and they are Jabo(which sell a lot of rejects).Newer marbles get mixed in with old ones all the time. Especially if they are attractive. They catch someones eye and they get thrown in the box jar whatever with all the others. I know that is not what you want to here but it is just the opinion of an old marble collecter. Peace,Galen

you might not be satisfied with any answer until you show it in hand to a few people.

from here they look jabo-ish, but if they're older, they're some kind of "WV swirl" that got "messed up" somehow.

here are a few jabos from the 2003 run - they produced some extraordinary marbles that year, including those fancy supermen.

post-126-1161783408_thumb.jpg

you might not be satisfied with any answer until you show it in hand to a few people.

from here they look jabo-ish, but if they're older, they're some kind of "WV swirl" that got "messed up" somehow.

here are a few jabos from the 2003 run - they produced some extraordinary marbles that year, including those fancy supermen.

post-126-1161783408_thumb.jpg

I recognize the look of those. By the way, what size are they? My guess from the pattern would be shooter, but maybe the small shooter. (3/4"?)