It Seems Jabo Makes Marbles!!

Not much else should need be said.

cept maybe study up.

Oh yea - marbles are tough, I'm sorry but again duh.

Its a business and as such has a responsibility to produce a sellable product.

Couple of years back you could not sell a case of their marbles.

As far as similaritys..................

Most of us have thousands of marbles, but what we really want mostly are quite similar...marbles ya know.

No cry'n in marbles, David

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem with these marbles is the same it has been since these "private financed and expieramental" runs begin and its not the marbles.

For the most part the runs have produced some gorgeous marbles.

Some of the pics I have seen for the latest runs are Spectacular.

Its the lack of real information.

Plenty of Pics. and (well deserved) spectacular reviews but lill info on numbers of marbles run.

Buckets of (oh yea) Silver Oxbloods.

The hoarding of pertinent marble value information is for Profit alone.

The owners of this info no full well its value and most other discussion seems to be smoke screen.

Love of the marble, yea right - me too!

I do love the new marbles, David

Actually there are three books out specifically on the Jabo marble runs of the past 2-3 years with add'l background on earlier Classic Runs including pictures, names, numbers, etc. The info. about the books and how and where to purchase them have been out there for some time. Granted this is not the hearwithall and a requirement of attending shows, noching with other marble collectors and fully immersing one in the hobby is necessary. But you can go to Jabo Land and view Thread after Thread that provides excellent pictures and in many cases marble names all identified from specific runs that you've enquired about here. It's just that it's practically a full time job to stay on top of it. No one ever said that marbles were easy. David

Marbleous1, the Tribute group has made no secret about the marbles they made in 4 different runs. We even named a number of them. I posted pics on this very chat board each time we did another run. No secrets! I did not post the last run because of all the negative comments. I didn't want to hear them. I did however post the pics on the contemporary hand made board. Nobody complained that they were machine mades. They drew no negative remarks. This board might have more pics for those concerned about buying them for vintage if investors could feel comfortable about posting pics here. I have examples of almost every other experimental run made too. I would post pics of them except for the negative reactions generated here. So, what I'm trying to say is -- we have no secrets. If you don't know what they look like, it's not because we're hiding them. It is because we don't like the negativity.

Oh yes! We know how many marbles were run too. But that information is disputed by the "experts" who complain loudly about the harm the marbles are doing and have done. Some of the Sturtz books address the numbers. Sturtz and McCullough do know how many were made in each run, not just the Tributes, but all of them. Want it posted? Maybe someone who really knows would do it if they're not as tired as I am of the negative remarks.

My problem with these marbles is the same it has been since these "private financed and expieramental" runs begin and its not the marbles.

For the most part the runs have produced some gorgeous marbles.

Some of the pics I have seen for the latest runs are Spectacular.

Its the lack of real information.

Plenty of Pics. and (well deserved) spectacular reviews but lill info on numbers of marbles run.

Buckets of (oh yea) Silver Oxbloods.

The hoarding of pertinent marble value information is for Profit alone.

The owners of this info no full well its value and most other discussion seems to be smoke screen.

Love of the marble, yea right - me too!

I do love the new marbles, David

I have posted thes numbers in my book and on the boards even though the "intelligencia" shouted me down. Whether anyone likes it or not here we go. On average, the runs themselves have been about 120,000 marbles,less cold roll marks etc. The tank washes vary because of the small amounts of glass used and I have not tracked them and would be unableto do so, but most are under 1,000 pounds at 96 marbles per pound.

Since the experimentals began, JABO has not made 6,000,000 marbles yet. Why 6,000,000? Because that is the average number of Classics made in all the years prior to 2008. To give you some perspective, Peltier made about 130,000,000 champion juniors a year for 10 years. JABO has not made 6,000,000 in three years.

All JABOs are rare because of the small numbers produced. If memory serves me and I am too lazy to look it up, the total production of Classics from 1991 until the factory "closed forever" on Nov 27, 2007 was about 52 or 57,000,000 marbles. The largest single number of marbles in one Family of which I am aware is about 60,000 Danny Boys.S ome families are in very very small numbers (fewer than 100).

Like every marble maker, not all are what we would consider collectible. But, the percentage of collectible marbles versus other makers is very big. For most makers, the percentage of marbles collectors keep is in the 1 to 3% range. For JABO,it appears that this number will turn out to be in the 25 to 35% range in the future.

The runs since 2008 have really been a whose who of sophisticated collectors, club presidents, authors, industry "angels" regardless of the drivel on the chat boards. I have always been amazed since I got involved in JABO, to find the names who have collected them from the very early days.

Before these runs are all over, they will have included people involved in the ownership and history of Marble King, Pelt, Ravenswood, Alox, Alley and last week Kokomo.

As for pics, there are lots around. As soon as Joe Street gets to it and he is very busy (over 3,000) hours invested in his web site already) he will be posting hundreds of JABOs at joemarbles.com. He has 3 or 4 10 gallon tubs of JABOs at his home to be photographed and posted. These mibs are separated by year and also by experimental run, but I know not how he is going to post them.

As for me, I have learned alot about JABO in the last three years. BUT, I have learned even more about, Pelt, Alley, Cairo, Kokomo and Marble King. I am glad to have gotten interested in machine mades after having collected Germans since the 'early 60s.

A novice collector made the observation of the year last year when she said that older marbles are "almost pretty enough to be a JABO..."

Ah, Jabos! I am just grateful that I was able to enter in to marble collecting at a time that allowed me to actually go to a factory, see and participate in a run of marbles that are and will be treasured by me and my kids for many years to come. And, all this was in America! God bless Jabo!

The three books I have on Jabo marbles are a wealth of information. However, while runs continue to drop from the rollers there is a need for continued versions, or possibly more books. If done right, or in form with the last three books, this will be the best documented marble history, in... well.. history! lol

I could post JABO pics on this board showing all the Tribute marbles and most of the other experimental runs. I have collected some of all of them. I would be happy to do that if it would not start the usual bombardment. It seems to me that it might help a lot of us be familiar with what is out there and maybe prevent buying what have come to be called look alikes, though I don't think I have any that are. I know dates of runs and names of runs. You could know too, if you had the JABO books. I know several people that could add to that type of thread and share some of what went on. Let me know.

I don't have that much of a mind or temperament for the long run when it comes to certain projects but it is my intention to continue to photograph certain Jabo runs and write about them. In other words I'll not be providing an exacting and detailed accounting of each and every Family in the runs along with variation statistics. There are no books in my future plans. I lean more towards picking out my dozen(usually less) or so favorites, waxing eloquentIBig words!) about them, photographing them in interesting motifs and letting it go at that. This you can count on from me. David

thank you David. If I do such a post here, it will be factual and truthful. If I did such a post, dates would be important as well as names of people involved. David, you are welcome to add in, if I do it. You and I are on the same page. I have dear friends in many of the runs that I know would help. I need others to say that we need such a post with pics of all of them. I will not do it if the critics want to disrespect it. Let me know if it's needed.

Love marble pics, not much as marbles.

Again marbles are confusing and marble pictures well -you know. These marbles all, will add to it.

I have been searching Jabo pics at numerous locale's having trouble finding pics of some of these "close too" marbles under discussion.

silver ox?

Where are pictures of these brickalikes found?

David

Oh yea I think the CAC Guinea is a contemporary knock-off of a cloud!

I'm probably more inclined to fictional and fanciful than flat out IDing. Expect more off-the-wall articles or set pieces like the "How 'Bout Them Marbles" at joemarbles.com rather than full on date driven, statistically laden and referenced offerings. I'm more inclined to just add my 2 cents worth than to adopt any collaborative editing. Whatever I do separately will be pretty much self-contained and leaning more towards appreciation of the marbles than fixing them in some historical continuant. This is not to say that you shouldn't go right ahead and forge ahead with what works best for you; I just have too much on my plate to be any more than a casual supporter. O.K?

Re. posting where Jabos are maybe more emphasized in their promotion I think I'd be more inclined to post in multiple places but especially bring my contributions to this marble subject where the clear collector interest is most evident and that's right here + at AAMs, etc. Anyway, I think Jabo marbles transcend their own milieu; they are truly transcendent! I'm not about to suggest a separate forum for say Ravenswood marbles.

David

Galen, were talking about Jabo's, here, now.

Try to keep up.

David

and I'm pretty sure "all" of the pictures aint there.

edit: to the three or four engaged in random meaness - you know how your adversaries post comes off to you?

Yep, thats what "you" read like too!

David

yes you too and you!

One other thought - The pics at JABO land are not complete and most of them are individual marbles. We all know each marble is different. I believe it will take a pic of a group of them to be of real value. Say 7 to 10 marbles alike. I have marbles from Boyce Lundstrom, Mike Barton, Kevin Plummer, Ed Parsons, Tom Jinks, David McCullough, Steve Smith, Ron Shepherd, and probably some more I can't think of without getting out the marbles. Where I know about a run, but don't have marbles, I would say so and perhaps someone in that run would post pics of those.

Bocci's site is not an option for me. It will be here or nowhere. Sorry, that's how I feel. The main stream collectors who want to learn, know, and see are HERE. If I do it, I will ask others who don't want to read about JABO to ignore the post.