Desertbern

VTAndrea

I've been concerned that a marble I bought with "buy it now", sold by desertbern, hasn't arrived after 2 weeks. When I asked if it had been sent, he wrote some insulting reply that implied I was too stupid to check the tracking number. Then there was another reply with gibberish that made me think he thought I was in another country. Of course he was kidding, but I don't know the man and find him extremely irritating. Here's an example:

I sorry - my mammy been answerin my mail while I be out in de fields. An how you sayin I is not helpful?
Dint I tell where de post office say your marble is? An ifn you don likes it when it do get there just send her on home for a money back! 'don even need no good reason. Ifn you bought er cuz she blue an after writin to me you decide you gonna hate blue from now on - send her back! I don even have to knows why! Thanks again an pleese enjoy your beautiful marble! - Bill

- desertbern
Here's another:
Well then YOU SPEEKEE ENGLEESH VERRY GOOD! I UNDERSTANDEE MOST WHAT YOU TALKEE! YANQUEE DOG GO HOME!!!

I was clowning you. I know where Nashaua, NJ is! Heck, I was back East oncet.....Phoenix! lol Your marble get there yet? If not I speckt itll reach er tomorry. Is this lil ol you right down there??? Let me know you get it tomorry - I be so happy! I hop up n down, one foot t'other, pattin my hands together n a whistilin Dixie! Thanks, again

Bill

Is this guy a mental case or what?
(Sorry about the font changes.)

When he was posting as the 12-year-old he made some outrageously sexual posts. (Well, maybe only one, but it was bad.)

This was before I realized it was the middle-aged man posing as a child and as the child's great-grandmother. Supposedly it was the great-grandmother's account and the child was only online with her supervision so I sent "her" a note and "she" reamed me for being narrow-minded about her bright, healthy 12-year-old's openness about sexual matters.

I just checked his feedback. No negatives yet. I kinda would have expected some already if only because of the mint 9.9 descriptions turning out not to be true. So far so good though. Maybe you'll still get the marble if you still want it.

Did he really give you a tracking number?

Only a few things will slow or stop the above. When no or less and less collectors will buy any marble from them. When the true incorrect things they do are brought to the attention of collectors. When people are not afraid to post true feedback. When they are flooded with messages. Know who you are dealing with. There are a lot of collectors named Bill. It is not Bill Bass,Bill Tite,Bill McCaleb etc.. We need to be careful assuming. Mibcapper may feel results of this now. The marble collecting world is small and all our words travel fast. With that defense,it is up to us to take the offense and make collectors aware. But when doing that like any information. The information needs to be true not an assumption,disagreement based on hearsay,or personal attack. Will you buy from this seller again ? What feedback will you leave ? Spread the information but make sure it is true if you are going to attack someone. Or it can backfire big. It is much easier to attack with a keyboard than in person face to face. Use caution on the keyboard. It can resolve problems or also create big ones. With the insulting replys,i would not be dealing with this person again. They have probably lost several sales by this post. I hope the marble arrives and that it is what was expected. If it is not don't be shocked. The replys should be a warning ahead. Good luck.

Not sure if you were scolding me or giving advice, Ron. The marble arrived today, wrapped well and as described. (Yes, it is indeed mint.) Not sure if I'd buy from him again due to the strange communication. As for feedback, I'll say the marble was as described but the transaction not as smooth as it should be.

I am not sure either,i guess what ever fits. Just my thoughts or opinions. It was not directed totally to any one single person but anyone who visits here, Sounds like the marble was late but was as expected. So were any of the comments in the some of the above post a little harsh for this transaction ? Yes the replys from the seller were not the normal or as expected. Maybe some of the comments above were from past history with this seller ? But was this thread about past auctions or the current auction details ? Like i have said,once some peoples minds are made up,there is no changing it. Change can be difficult,but it does and will happen sometimes. If we like it,agree with it,or not. Glad it worked out ok for you.

Once a middle-aged man decides it's okay to pretend to be a 12-year-old boy and post about preteen girls' private parts, I don't think there is any amount of good marble description which would make up for the negative part of his personality.

I guess that's a personal decision on my part and others might make different decisions, but I have no compunction with holding that kind of low behavior against a person for a long long time.

And the language that he used to Andrea does nothing to make me change my mind.

Interesting that Craig had no problem with him. Does he treat men better in emails than he does women? I know some people like that.

The surface of the marble looks absolutely fine under 10X magnification. I don't look with anything stronger. I probably overreacted to the late delivery based on having read comments in the earlier "bad ebay seller" post, but his weird remarks when I asked him for more information didn't help.

I knew the grandma who passed away a year or so ago. She was a classy lady buying marbles on Ebay. Her son and grandson are the ebay and this forum personalities. I do not approve his (son or the grandson unless we are dealing with double personality) response to Andrea at all. Very out of line.

Sami

Fwiw, I'm with Steph on this one. Certain behavior justifies warning others away, or at least making them aware.

This reminds me a bit of some celebrities, artists, etc. who have done despicable things and yet some folks say that it shouldn't preclude supporting their work. (Before anyone yells, I am not singling out anyone in particular.)

Does buying a product, be it merchandise or art, imply acceptance or approval of such behavior?

We all have to make a personal decision about where to draw the line on such things.

As a general statement not directed at anyone in particular. If you don't care who you do business with go ahead and support the nut case. Personally I would never need a marble that bad and am sorry that some think they do, and do not care. Kinda sad actually. One of the most disgusting statements I here people use is, He never did anything to me.