Largest Vintage Handmade?

I've heard there are some real huge ones out there, but most were kept under 2.5" due to deformation during manufacture, is that still the consensus? (I imagine the glassworker could pretty much attempt any size they wanted).

There were probably some factors like packaging, limited market, and raw materials (1 huge marble vs. ~40 small marbles) etc.

Mostly curious how they would have been marketed, or if they were simply one-offs. Largest I have are a couple around 2-3/8"

3" is pretty huge, I think I've seen a picture of that one before. So if all it took was a properly sized fruitwood forming block, there should be at least a couple other ones over 2-3/8" around out there. A long time ago I saw one on eBay pictured with a baseball for comparison, and it was about the same size. Can't think of seeing too many others though.

so thinking back to the days of 1800-1900.... why would they make such a big marble, and how/why did it get imported over to the states? Also why would they make tiny pee wee handmades? I have some very tiny lattacino's... what possibly be the purpose of those?

the peewees came in a game board set. I personally believe the big ones were just "what nots" for folks that wanted a big marble to display.Like big marbles today. Knick Knacks got popular in the Victorian times to the point that special display shelves and Curio cabinets also became popular to display the goodies.

Bob is correct, Running Rabbit sold a 3-1/4" divided core back in the 90's. It is the same marble that Randy bought at Morphys a few years ago. That one is the largest i have seen or had in hand. I have probably 20 or so 2-3/8- 2-1/2 in my collection. But for every vintage handmade i see that is a full 2-1/2" I will see dozens 2-3/8"

Bill