pedidoll

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So much great stuff here!

Sorry I can't respond to all of them, but of course that would be excessive and look silly.

But I will respond to a 'concept' I felt from several of them.

Which was the realization that all of us have very personal and unique ways of appreciating marbles.

And that these ways aren't often a black and white distinction, but more often a question of our individual

tastes giving a little more 'weight' to certain characteristics over others.

Most recently, let's look at one of JerryG's beautiful marbles. I'm probably at one extreme end of the

spectrum of people here, but it doesn't make a bit of difference to me whether it's German, hand-made,

or polished. I just like it. But it was definitely interesting to assume from his comments that some

people would be excited about an unpolished marble in this condition.

A little earlier, Ric and Winnie touched on the subject of 'beaters'. There's probably no way around the

fact that on the 'business' side of marbles, those in better condition will command higher prices. But in

terms of 'personal value' I think a reasonable percentage of us sometimes 'fall in love' with beaters.

They have a 'history' to them which can sometimes make them more appealing than a marble that's been

stored in a safe since day 1. (And a lot more comfortable to take out and play with!) It's kind of like

meeting someone who's so ugly that you find them irresistibly cute. If that makes any sense.

But if you still want to throw them away, you should certainly send them to Jessica! Or me. :P

A little earlier, Ric and Winnie touched on the subject of 'beaters'. There's probably no way around the

fact that on the 'business' side of marbles, those in better condition will command higher prices. But in

terms of 'personal value' I think a reasonable percentage of us sometimes 'fall in love' with beaters.

They have a 'history' to them which can sometimes make them more appealing than a marble that's been

stored in a safe since day 1. (And a lot more comfortable to take out and play with!) It's kind of like

meeting someone who's so ugly that you find them irresistibly cute. If that makes any sense.

But if you still want to throw them away, you should certainly send them to Jessica! Or me. :P

I have to admit I'm a little self-conscious showing folks my beaters, even when I love them. "Serious Collectors" seem to only want perfect spheres of glass and I guess that's what I aspire to. At the same time, I don't have unlimited funds and I'm more than willing to accept something less than perfect. I collect marbles because of their variety and their beauty. And I still can believe some kid used my Peltier NLR shooter for what they were manufactured for. :o:)

A new one I just received in the mailbox

a 1" Cat that looks like it has oxblood, or some sort of metal reaction on the outside. I wasn't sure from the photos when I bought it if maybe the brown/ox/whatever was painted on, because it sure looked textured. And it is, I can feel the texture, but there is some of the color below the surface too, which you can kind of see in the fourth photo, so whatever it is, it's part of the marble.   ^_^

1 Inch Cat Ox R.jpg