Does anyone do reconditioning now?

jten

Thanks. On other sites people charge 100.00+ for marbles over an inch. Leroy did a lot of large marbles,Roany pony did about 100 smaller ones. I would send him a large bag of marbles and tell him to take whatever he wanted for his fee.

I knew somebody who had an amazing Master shooter with tons of colors. I swear it looked mint in hand but under a loupe it had been polished. Never occurred to me to check all my mint marbles but somebody did a very good job. There was very interesting pattern on the whole surface of the marble but too subtle for the naked eye.

That's another topic that I wonder about as a novice collector.  If the marble looks mint to the naked eye, but not under a loupe, could you still call it mint?  I look at my marbles and even if they are not mint under a loupe, I think they look gorgeous and I display them as if they are mint.  If I ever decided to sell them, I don't think I'd be able to sell them as mint without saying something like "mint to the naked eye, but . . ."  Do serious collectors frown upon polished marbles even if they are done well?  

12 hours ago, Marbleized said:

That's another topic that I wonder about as a novice collector.  If the marble looks mint to the naked eye, but not under a loupe, could you still call it mint?  I look at my marbles and even if they are not mint under a loupe, I think they look gorgeous and I display them as if they are mint.  If I ever decided to sell them, I don't think I'd be able to sell them as mint without saying something like "mint to the naked eye, but . . ."  Do serious collectors frown upon polished marbles even if they are done well?  

Never, ever knowingly sell a polished marble without stating clearly up front that it has been polished - doing so is a fast ticket to huge problem and a loss of your reputation as a reliable seller. Polishing any marble dramatically reduces the value, often to a small fraction of the original. In the case of some large handmades there may be a case to made for polishing - I have a few in my personal collection, e.g., examples I really liked but were otherwise beat up so badly as to be unviewable. 

As for “naked eye mint” but loupe imperfect, there’s nothing wrong with describing the marble that way. Very, very few marbles can stand up to the scrutiny of 10X magnification without exposing a few problems. I think more information is always better - describe what you see. 

Thanks everyone for giving me feedback.  I totally agree that more info is always better.  I guess, as a consumer, I can always ask questions before purchasing.  I'm not at the point of selling anything.  I guess I posted the question of reconditioning because I have a few out-of-rounds that I purchased online and was wondering if that is considered a flaw, or if it is like an "as made", or if they were reconditioned.  Thanks again. 

Out-of-round machinemades happen - very few marbles from any manufacturer are perfectly round under a micrometer’s unforgiving measurement. If one is seriously out of round, however, showing flat spots or an egg or oval shape then steer clear - it’s been badly made or possibly polished. When approaching any marble to buy look closely at the surface - is it overly slick? Feel it between your fingers, does it want to squirt out when light pressure is applied? Polished or buffed marbles are extremely slick. Look at the surface thru a loupe - are the edges of the surfaced air holes sharp and squared off? Are they filled with a white substance (polishing compound.) Polished. Then look at how light reflects on the surface of the glass. Normal surfaces have imperfections, so as you turn the marble the light wavers. Polished marbles are nearly perfectly smooth so the light won’t waver or dance as you turn it. 

Reputable sellers will never knowingly sell a polished or buffed marble without stating so up front. I’ve bought a couple that were, and it stinks. It pays to know your source, and to study your good ones - and your mistakes.

Most polished marbles (using a 3-head sphere machine) end up more spherical than they started.  If it was polished by hand or in a rock tumbler it will more likely end up out of round. 

Of course there are some dug marbles shaped like footballs etc since they never made it past QC dept, and got scrapped by the 100's

Thanks everyone for all the great responses!  I am constantly learning.  I've been reading on it, but it helps to hear the experiences of others and the added knowledge that everyone has.  I'm am making my share of mistakes.  If I were to put my marbles on a flat surface, I'm sure a good number of them would go rolling without any help!  But in the world of marble collecting where there are so many variables, I guess it is to be expected.  The Marble Connection community are awesome people.  There are so many people willing to share what they know.  You are the best!

If you have marbles worth $10.00 and $100.00 each or more. You want mint condition.  Even new collectors today want mint marbles. Years ago collectors were happy with place holders until a better one came along. Some still do this but the majority now want mint marbles. Because they will hold their value better and longer than one that is near mint. It can all depend on what your plans are for the marble in the future ?  For play nm is fine, for crafts nm is fine, to learn from nm is fine, to sell sometime in the future or recover your money mint is best. For a investment gamble for the future mint is best. Very few nm marbles increase in value fast or at all. Most mint marbles do increase in value, some increase very much. This is why people pay more for mint marbles. Then the problem is the grading scale and who is doing it. Mint marbles has different meanings to many.  Your own eyes have to be the judge.  I make the mistake to many times of buying a marble and not checking it with a loupe and later disappointed. A loupe can be a hassle, but the experienced and smart buyer is the one using a loupe.  If you pay $100.00 for a marble and think it is mint. Then later check it with a loupe and it is nm or even high nm, you find out the value dropped to 50% of what you paid.  The $10.00 marble you will not lose as much. The higher value you go the more important condition is. 

Thanks for the valuable info on value.  I'm not quite at that tipping point on just buying mint condition marbles because I really don't have a whole lot of experience on what it is in a mint marble that I am looking for.  Some sellers seem to consider a marble with production flaws still mint.  I've purchased some of these, but now I'm not sure if that would be a good investment.  I don't think I am ready or deserving of even a $50 marble, yet.  I can see what you are saying, being that a lot of collectibles come and go and only the mints hold any value, if at all.  I should start to look for shows in my area.  Nothing like actually holding the marble that you are about to purchase.  Thanks again for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...