Fluorescent Fun

Steph

Coooool.  

Thanks for playing with me! 

Pelt Mibber, is there aventurine in the glowing ribbon of your second marble? Not sure I've ever seen that before.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this for Bonnie!  Let's show her some blacklight photos and note the marble maker.  

Bonnie, Bruce's pistachios up there are Alley.  Probably?  Unless someone comes by and says maybe Ravenswood, assume Alley.  

The true Alley Pistachio is a different green and more black and it has to glow. I think the ones above as Steph said are Ravenswood Novelty marbles. They are light green or more blue in the green base and the swirl more of a brown/purple shade. Up to now I don't know of any Ravenswood named Pistachio. The only marble I call or label a Pistachio is the Alley Pistachio. When marble names cross companies and attached to anything near the original, they loose meaning, value and cause more confusion. Now days I can say that I just got a nice Superman and it could be one of many marbles and worth 0.25 cents to $500.00.  Even within one company, the same name can be for much different marbles. How many different Jabo Superman marbles are there ?  Thirty years ago the marble name Superman meant maybe one or two certain marbles. What was the very first marble named Superman ? The more a name is stretched the more it is lost.  Like ancestry family history. To many cousins and no one knows the actual original. The original got a name because it was special, not like many others that are something similar.  Marble names are needed and can be a plus or become a minus. DSC04956.JPG.58b6c790277719333ab1b2764efd9746.JPG

I love getting the black light out on my marbles. Here are a couple I had some fun with last night! Pictures aren’t great was having a tuff time with the black light pictures. Not really sure other then the Jabos what they are but their glow is awesome. Oh and my little Apple mistake is a glower too so cool! 

03F7FE06-D6D2-44E1-99F6-189E613D2E5F.jpeg

7C76F725-17BA-4ADF-9619-530A23DC6E68.jpeg

3E51D85D-E24C-436A-AD52-670FDD729ABD.jpeg

7DF7409F-55D5-42FE-99F4-568FC8B4347F.jpeg

38D42C27-B520-4003-8665-3E8D3B131A29.jpeg

AA353A25-4651-4719-AD8B-3AB75F1B388E.jpeg

:thup: Thanks for posting all of those, but especially thanks for posting the lavender Jabos.  You have a nicer selection than I do.  They are "classics" and  that glow is from the Fenton Burmese cullet which Jabo used.   And that's all the extra detail I know for them.

They are great! Even better now that I know what they are and that they glow up so bright! I really thought someone had tried to make marbles and didn’t do a very good job haha. You guys offer great advice and information here for someone who knows nothing about marbles. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 4:35 PM, Tel marbles said:

They are great! Even better now that I know what they are and that they glow up so bright! I really thought someone had tried to make marbles and didn’t do a very good job haha. You guys offer great advice and information here for someone who knows nothing about marbles. 

Hi Tel Marbles,  I just noticed that I have a marble like yours in the fourth block of marbles, bottom right square.  It is just a light green marble that glows profusely under a black light.  Is that a Jabo, too?  Thanks!

19 hours ago, Marbleized said:

Just thought I'd add a photo of a few of my glowing marbles.  Looks like they belong in a mad scientist's lab. : o

Cool photo.  I put in a lot of practice taking blacklight photos way back when.  I sorted my UV glass by brightness.  In some of the less bright groups, I got some interesting colors.  And then in those less bright groups, some shades photographed more brightly than others, so I bumped some of the marbles up to a brighter class or down to a less bright class, in order to get balanced pictures.   I had lots of fun with that.  Ended up with a "sun" tan on my left wrist from where I propped my long tube blacklight trying to get it into just the right position as I worked my camera with my right hand. 

Yeah, I probably should have regrouped them according to brightness.  The other problem that I was having was that my flashlight had a narrow range so I probably should have included less marbles. I was at the bottom of my bowl of marbles and decided to take a photo of the ones that were UV reactive before I put everything away. Sorry.  I was being lazy. LOL!

I was actually debating if I should redo it because one of the marbles totally had no fire.  I love that you got so into it that you didn't realize the sun tan!  When I get into something I can spend hours and days on it, until my husband brings me back to earth.  LOL! It's like my marbles that I didn't realize I had so many of.  I was determined to label every single one.  So now you know why I was getting so frustrated with the swirls!  I had to tell myself to accept the fact that I couldn't ID them all. Done.  Sort of.  Have a great week! :jumping-1020: