11 hours ago, Ric said:

Those are interesting, Jeff. Are there only two ribbons of color on each?

Yes, and the base is nothing like any MK. I mean, MK's white is pretty standard, bright and clean. IDK, but perhaps they were a special run contracted for a commercial firm, experiment or? There were quite a few popping up in Jill's dig, but, you know, lack of dazzle, sizzle, and pop, I don't think any collectors, including Jill, were interested in the least.  Nor was I except, when cleaning and sorting it became obvious, they're not simply rejects.

I've never seen any in the wild and yet expect; those who acquired the dirty bags from her, have them too. Which should also mean, there's probably plenty that's been dug by many others, but ignored. 

55 minutes ago, Jeff54 said:

Yes, and the base is nothing like any MK. I mean, MK's white is pretty standard, bright and clean . . .

Thanks Jeff. They are really different than MK's standard production. What makes you think that they weren't discarded because of that? It seems to me that the P&R "ideal" is what MK was known for and if you gave a kid a choice between these and their standard P&Rs . . . I can imagine what they would choose - maybe just a matter of QC?

15 hours ago, Ric said:

Thanks Jeff. They are really different than MK's standard production. What makes you think that they weren't discarded because of that? It seems to me that the P&R "ideal" is what MK was known for and if you gave a kid a choice between these and their standard P&Rs . . . I can imagine what they would choose - maybe just a matter of QC?

Because, as in the photo, that's a set. Irregulars, rejects and the like are moreover, one of a kind or series production odd balls, with not enough of this or that and or hybrids. The only exception to the thin stripes in this set are the green being a tad wider and one of those is brighter white.

There is one type that MK made in the 50-60's. I played with them as a kid and were not as easy to get as a Bumble bee, Boy scout, Wasp or Girl scout too.

The Black Widow:  MK also made them in the mid 80's along with Wasps and those blue and black, green and black and others like the old style however there's no white and you can shine a light through them. I bought a couple of handfuls of the wasps and Black widows in local flea market straight out of new 40-50 pound boxes. I had not known or seen the other colors before and so, just bought a bunch of wasps and Black Widow's, about 1984 -5 they were 10 cents each.

The old Black Widows do not have patches, just two thin lines and you cannot shine a light through, I tried 5 or 6 today, no luck, zip, zero, nada light would pass at any angle.

Some of the 80's Black widows can have thin stripes or two patches, but you can find light if you check well. Thier translucent-transparent base will show either dark green or dark green/blue base.

This strange thin line, near white marbles are the same pattern that old Black Widows do. I have about 10-12 old Black Widows made in the old days.

I Have not paid any attention to either in almost 20 years (note the date in my photo: 2003) but, pulled out all of these, Wasps, Black widows, newer and old, and two stripers to insure I am refreshed wit this subject.

Hence, MK did make something like these strange two striped marbles, but I think have been passed up for being too plain. 

BTW, MK made some big 1" special Black widows in 1997. One side is red stripe the other is a red patch that is surrounded with green. IDK, Black Widow watermelon patch, boulders?😁

2 minutes ago, Jeff54 said:

Because, as in the photo, that's a set . . .

You make an excellent point that I hadn't thought about - why would they repeat a "mistake" using different colors? Seems pretty obvious now . . . I wonder about myself sometimes.

It'd be great to see some of those old Black Widows . . .

3/4" Marble King Cross through ,double ingot orange Cat eye

An amazing oddity dug up by Jillien years ago. She didn't see or understand what happened and I grabbed it  just B/C it was so different, kind of looked like a Vitro thingy.  Only to  be surprised how that the veins laid nice, flat and separated, in great condition with no lumps, roller marks . On each pole where joined there almost invisible tiny valleys you can just barely feel. It shouldn't have happened B/C, individually each cat would have been made into a Speare on rollers for 5/8" marbles and yet it made it through virtually perfectly round @ shooter size; 3/4".

This photo is about 20 years old and so I pulled the marble out to ensure my description is correct:

Happy MK Mondays

636193437_DoubleIgnotShootercat.gif.e76a4cbf8a05f32b1703feea0c307e85.gif

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

So, here's an old photo of a bunch of new MK's (new in 1997) that a distributor sent me along with a bunch of Champions (Not shown) samples seeking my opinion of the marbles.

Moreover, I deemed them as Experientials because some months prior, Berry Fox had told me, in a call I made to her, that she was trying to reengineer their system/machines to produce old style patch and ribbons. So, apparently with some or many, in this large group of samples (the box is mine) the patch changed from two patches into, as I called it' a split patch. 

Pretty sure that some of yawl have seen the blue, yellow and green 5/8" marbles and these big 'Split patch' ones too. I think there's no shortage of giant 1-1/4" white cats, but. some of the black ones are, like, a big boy 1" Black widow hybrid of sorts.

Red narrow patch on one side and a watermelon patch, that's red with green surrounding it. And there's a few cats they'd blended to where they almost look, especially a big blue and green, like St. Mary's cross throughs.

And, Big Boy 7/8" 2 patch Wasps with blue beside the red.

It's an old photo 25 years. Regardless I angled each marble so you can see the variations.

mkexperimentials4.jpg.2f5c20081895e4866832ad609cba9639.jpg

mkexpermentials1.jpg.0789dfd8aa8277fdeee6108b6de49a42.jpg

mkexpermentials2.jpg.853594344fbc4a5dcfc81db414ff0d07.jpg

• Like 5
  • Award 1

• 2 weeks later...