Thüringen Thursday

Steph

5 hours ago, crashbelt said:

Stunning - one of the missing links in my collection!!

I forgot to mention: They're rarely perfect for the more primitive conditions of manufacture, but It's best as-made mint condition as one could hope for.  About 20 years ago, an USA eBay sale that didn't know any more than it's a slag.

Australia: I've seen some Solitaire boards W/boxes and the sets many years ago. Was before paypal. I use to have photos of a few boxes, long lost inside crashed hard drive. Also, probably South Africa, places within the British empire, probably has some undiscovered treasures that the earth hasn't been scorched yet.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, crashbelt said:

I recently got this rare Nine Mens Morris board which I've filled with swirls from my stash.

Another great board. All I can say is . . . you must have pretty nice "stash" of swirls!

• Like 1

Here's an unusual board. Its the Snail Game, sometimes seen on the reverse side of solitaire boards. But this is the only one I've seen on its own board with bun feet. The gold decoration indicates its by FHAyres.

The marbles aren't original to the board. But as the game is played by up to 6 players chasing to the centre, I've put 6 different colour micas on it

image.thumb.jpeg.2b590282a1aad16024e81637e0ce79f1.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

On 6/7/2023 at 6:58 PM, crashbelt said:

Here's an unusual board. Its the Snail Game, sometimes seen on the reverse side of solitaire boards . . .

Another very nice board - one I had not seen before. Thanks for showing it. I've enjoyed seeing your collection!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, akroorka said:

" A Greiner ??""

The Greniers were one of the first glass marble making families in Thuringen Germany back in the mid 1800s. If I remember correctly, they patented marble shears and are famous for producing hand-gathered faceted (ground) pontil marbles like yours.

That is an exceptional marble you have there, Art - treasure it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crashbelt said:

Here's another probably original set with mixed micas.

Another great board with beautiful marbles. And I have to say, I was looking forward to your post. 🙂

• Like 2

I bought these 32 marbles without a board many years ago. Almost certainly from an original set - 32 x 9/16" marbles. Same colours, pontils etc. The only surprise is the one Lutz - my hunch is that it may well have been originally part of the set but I'll never know.

I've only ever seen two original all Lutz boards - one in a Stan Block book and one owned by my board collector pal Tom.

I put this set on a spare imitation (I think) slate board I had. I don't know anything about it so welcome any thoughts.

image.thumb.jpeg.1ac0d1ec6e77cfb7f43454b412bc917a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, crashbelt said:

I bought these 32 marbles without a board many years ago. Almost certainly from an original set . . .

Another beautiful group of marbles. Since the lutz does look a little out of place and yet you think it might be original to the set, I was wondering if there is any chance that it may have been a center marble originally, and that one of the other "players" went missing. I understand that boards were often sold with a ceramic center marbles, but do you know if any boards were originally packaged with center marbles that were "fancier" than the players? It seems like it would have set them apart from most of the other boards available.

• Like 1