The Best ever--- September-----It kind of Rhymes

akroorka

The board is kind of slow the last few whiles so I thought I would try to light it up a bit.

Show us the marbles or glass that you own that you think may be the best that you have ever seen or owned. Do not be shy just do it and show us your best, there is always one better—that is what drives us. No shame here—just the best that you think that there is and that you have in your collection.

I will start with a one inch Cleary that turned out to be a “metallic”---very cool, only to those that love marbles----

Marble on!!!

Cleary1.JPG

• Like 2

My favorite piece of glass I own is this rare tumbler made by Hobbs and Brockunier out of Wheeling, WV from the 1880s or so. I love wheeling peachblow, have a bunch of examples but this is my favorite. 

My most valuable single piece is probably this 1830s Pittsburgh/upper Ohio River Valley Demijohn that I got for 20 bucks when I lived in Arkansas ten years ago. 

9F940B6D-0C2C-466F-B091-FCB09FB8E3E6.jpeg

8E3C0303-0E6E-4C0C-A35B-7A6A5152CBB3.jpeg

• Like 3

The best marble related thing I’ve ever seen is this incredible box of Akro sparklers; only in my dreams could I afford it. 

My best marble I own is probably this giant 2.1 inch end of day; got this sucker at a garage sale for 50 bucks; would never be able to afford one like it otherwise. 

A84A2C21-8228-4754-A736-AB9E0A76020F.jpeg

1A2DD2BA-F167-4678-BE92-53A502B6CB03.jpeg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, wvrons said:

I sold my 100 count mint Sparkler box about 4-5 years ago. I miss it sometimes but Nola still has its brother or sister.  They were together since they had been filled, until we separated them.  

Oh no, why did you sell it (don’t gotta answer it if you don’t want to)? I’d die to be able to afford something like that!

I feel jipped, I only got into marbles a few years ago and I’m only 33; I woulda loved to be able to find marbles in the early 2000s and late 90s when I was a kid. I’m sure there was tons of great deals to be had all the time when nobody but a few knew anything about marbles. I mean I still get very lucky with jars but have never found an original box of akros but once and that was in abandoned houses attic. 

It could be worse, instead of worrying about whether I can afford a marble or antiques every weekend; I could be worried about whether I can afford my car payment, food or mortgage/rent this month like most Americans have to worry about. So I guess I am lucky to be able to afford antique glass at all. 

• Like 2

Peltier Golden Rebel w/ av. in the black ribbons, the yellow base and the red ribbons as well. Silver and blue av. in the black ribbons, a touch very fine black & silver in the red ribbons & thick Green av. in the yellow. Got this one for $75.oo, no loupe or glasses on when I bought it, my jaw hit the ground when I got home and louped it, best av coverage in a Golden reb I've ever seen. One of my favorites for sureBut yes, my opinion may be a bit one sided, I am admittedly a "Pelt Head"

88.PNG

470.PNG

478.PNG

481.PNG

476.PNG

482.PNG

Peltier Blue Lagoon, super fine silver av. over the entire marble, thicker along the dark blue swirls. One I had been searching for relentlessly, ended up walking right through my front door, one as made dimple from a collapsed gas bubble visible in the 3rd pic. "that's it" otherwise clean, the shimmers and sparkles you see are almost all av. w/ a few  internal air bubbles, the biggest of which is in the first pic. I was a very happy camper  !!

413.PNG

414.PNG

415.PNG

124.PNG

131.PNG

Bah !! They're "all my favorites" 

• Like 3

I haven't been collecting marbles very long, not even a year yet, but I would say that this mib is probably tops with me, simply because of how I got it. Pulling this Akro Sparkler out of a $12 jar of mixed mibs was a feeling similar to hitting a good lottery ticket (too me anyway). And the odds of it being in this condition considering how long it possibly was unprotected was cool in itself 😊

16312761129903173041848094747266.jpg

16312761505946356148758857550875.jpg

• Like 4
  • Award 1

A piece of glassware....I would have to say my Chairman's Award of Merit  I received from Miken Sports is tops amongst all the various pieces of glass I have. Before Rawlings purchased Miken Sports, we were owned by the Jarden Corporation, a huge company internationally, which also owns the likes of Mr. Coffee, Sunbeam, Oster, and many other successful name brands both household and otherwise. Back then in 2012, we ran 2 shifts. Employees from production and the Administration building combined was right around 200 people. Too learn that my coworkers, my peers, had voted me too represent them was quite humbling. I was so proud. Each company that Jarden owned had its own representative for the Merit Award. Now that's alot of folks in the mix. I remember being notified in the final weeks leading up to the final balloting that I had made the cut, Top 50! That information floored me! Out of the final 50, 7 finalists were to be chosen for an all expenses paid trip too New York City, stay in a 5-star Hotel, and attend a special luncheon hosted  by Martin Franklin at one of the best restaurants in town. I was on pins and needles that final week before learning that I didn't make the cut. Besides the previous excitement, I was also disappointed but relieved it was over! Still, I was very proud and honored to have been chosen for this, a time I won't soon forget. 😊

16312776686828650011490956319487.jpg

16312777470305667154131196860028.jpg

16312778445677307503711364081788.jpg

16312778815995698693043340683736.jpg

1631277976008196531838285772255.jpg

• Like 3

Not a marble, but could pass as one for a giant. This is the first purchase that I made at an antique store before I even thought about collecting marbles. It reminded me of an aunty's house. She lived near the ocean and had many of these in nets hanging by her entry door until someone came and stole them. It's about the size of a volleyball and has the maker's mark on it, and of course, a huge pontil! There was another one for sale that was larger than a basketball or two, but I couldn't wrap my arms around it, and didn't really have a place for it at the time. And it was twice the cost which made the decision even easier. 

AB275B7C-FFC8-4D1B-86FF-E6D8942F5BC9.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 7:42 PM, cheese said:

Thank you! 

Another of my best. Unfortunately it has a fracture but it doesn't in these pics. I don't know when or how it happened. Just appeared one day.

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-3.j

This had got to be one of the most beautiful marbles I've ever seen. Must be even cooler in hand.

• Like 1