New Marbles Which Sort Of Look Old

Steph

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for starting this discussion Steph and to the participants. 

Overall, my general feel is too much shine and lack of rich color and depth of color points to not vintage. I can't keep seams straight (so to speak), so I just tend to go with this huge generality. It works for me, most of the time. But, I'm a newbie (wonder when I can stop using that label?), and haven't seen a zillion marbles like ya'll have. 

Mostly talking about opaques here. 

• Like 2

Interesting that it was mistaken. My rule would fit if I saw it for the first time cause the ribbon placement sure doesn't look Pelt to me. (now a Pelt with similar construction will show up, 😏).

Quick burning question: do you interchange construction and structure when describing marble characteristics? 

What do you mean by interchanging construction and structure?   They sound roughly synonymous but I can see how they could be different.  I probably use the word "structure" more.  Would have to catch myself saying "construction" to see how I apply it. 

Sometimes I use one, sometimes the other. I think I use structure when I'm trying to talk about pattern (flip-flop, ribbons, swirls, etc.) and use construction when I'm talking about things like wispiness, moss, that sort of thing. No biggie, splitting hairs. 

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Mojomarblelicious said:

I want that one , tell me where i can get it , who has it ? 

It's cool, isn't it.  I do not know who has it.  The photo came from an ebay auction.  

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 7/22/2009 at 7:04 PM, Steph said:

Here's a thread for the benefit of newbies and maybe not so newbies.

What examples do you have and/or know about of marbles which you think could be mistaken for old?

Here are a couple of my favorites, these pix from Schusserland.de.

Clownfish sometimes taken to be Master:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o151/modularforms/foreign/Clownfisch_16.jpg

And not sure of the name, but some like the two-seamers in this batch have been questioned in the past as possibly vintage:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o151/modularforms/foreign/Murmelbild_040.jpg

• Like 1