How About A Name, A Face And A Preference. Machine Or Handmade?

OMG ... that fanny pack ..... lololol

I learned how to use the selfie feature of my cellphone camera!  Woohoo.  I like this picture.  It can serve my avatar and getting-to-know-you needs for at least a few years.  

And behind me is the collage that hubby made of all the cats who have been in our family for the past 30 years.  ❤️  

Right now my marble project is to sort the marbles in my attic.  I keep finding marbles that I have put on my wishlist at various times and didn't remember that I already had.   Last weekend I stayed up until 5 on Sunday morning sorting marbles!  That was a major nostalgia trip back to the late night marble sorts from ten years ago.   It's not something I can afford to do again any time soon, but it was nice to feel the old excitement for a bit.  

a2BIVFF.jpg

• Like 2
  • Award 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ironworker said:

Years ago and i mean like 40 plus years ago it seemed like the only marbles snybody wanted was hand made. Nobody wanted the machine made. Of course at that time finding hand made alit more common than now.

Yes, now there's quite a market for modern marbles, since that's all most of the people buying marbles are able to find.   I expect to see the dividing lines for antique, vintage and modern changing soon.   Or we'll have to invent a new category name for the really really modern versus the older modern.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've been nosing around on here for a few yrs now. Its time i come clean. 

Hi. My name is Jessie &  I have a marble problem. Sometimes (because of device issues i have 2 login names) I might have an addiction. It all began in the 80s with 1 bag & a hole in the ground. I think it was a "Gassy" (Vacor) that hooked me. I quit and went dry for a long time. A few yrs ago my mother & I did an antique booth together & buried in her stash was an old draw string bank bag from the States. I got the shakes & heard that clacking. I asked where she found this vintage? Tucked in attic rafters of an old estate! I opened it and inside was a ticket from an event from Dec 57 along with some very dirty orbs. I hid them from buyers & begged her to let me love,clean & investigate my long lost loves. 

After weeks of searching i found you. I found others suffering this same addiction. Others that understood and even documented the history of this affliction. 

1672151661998-994190260.jpg

16721517170822127984093.jpg

• Wow 1

Who are you?  Melissa

Do you prefer handmade or machine made marbles?  I like them both!  I just started collecting a couple months ago and so what I like is TBD.  I do know I like german handmades, a lot by Master and Akro, and some by Vacor.  I also think Jabo classics are pretty fun.  

Here is me in happier warmer times with my flowers (my spring/summer hobby).  🌺

289331165_5554989961200348_2016968089658747328_n.jpg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Melissa said:

Who are you?  Melissa

Do you prefer handmade or machine made marbles?  I like them both!  I just started collecting a couple months ago and so what I like is TBD.  I do know I like german handmades, a lot by Master and Akro, and some by Vacor.  I also think Jabo classics are pretty fun.  

Here is me in happier warmer times with my flowers (my spring/summer hobby).  🌺

289331165_5554989961200348_2016968089658747328_n.jpg

Nice to have a face with the name, Melissa! I'm with you on that one regarding warmer times..I love the gardening 😊

1 minute ago, William said:

Nice to have a face with the name, Melissa! I'm with you on that one regarding warmer times..I love the gardening 😊

What sort of things do you plant?  I have a small vegetable garden with tomatoes, pickles, squash and herbs. But my passion is definitely perennial flowers.  I have a ridiculous amount of peonies, daylilies and irises.  I also like garden lilies, and I have the much coveted MN lady slipper which I am hoping will finally bloom for the first time this coming spring.  I hope!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Melissa said:

What sort of things do you plant?  I have a small vegetable garden with tomatoes, pickles, squash and herbs. But my passion is definitely perennial flowers.  I have a ridiculous amount of peonies, daylilies and irises.  I also like garden lilies, and I have the much coveted MN lady slipper which I am hoping will finally bloom for the first time this coming spring.  I hope!!

In the Lounge, I started 2 threads a while back, "Flowers and Gardens", and "My Other Interests"...it's alot easier for you to check it out..you'll see 😊

• Like 1

Hiya,

My name is heath,I actually love anything that catches the eye and has a history I can learn about,so machine and hand mades.i find it exciting to find contemporary in the wild and try and find out who the artist is and then try and find more of their art and history.

IMG_20181125_143202.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, wormie said:

Hiya,

My name is heath,I actually love anything that catches the eye and has a history I can learn about,so machine and hand mades.i find it exciting to find contemporary in the wild and try and find out who the artist is and then try and find more of their art and history.

IMG_20181125_143202.jpg

Nice to put a face to the name Heath, thanks for the pic Brother  image.png.5cbfb6e479fe1aa7de9e6e0afbcf1c01.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here's me! My name is Kimber and I love collecting vintage American machine mades of all makers. But I also love some of the newer mibs as well. Jabo and some of the others from outside the US. If I like it, I get it. I just love marbles and have a particular passion for Vitro. I'm happy to be here and learn from all the experts here!

20210304_091318~2.jpg

• Like 5

On 3/17/2023 at 6:42 AM, Kimbernugs said:

Here's me! My name is Kimber and I love collecting vintage American machine mades of all makers. But I also love some of the newer mibs as well. Jabo and some of the others from outside the US. If I like it, I get it. I just love marbles and have a particular passion for Vitro. I'm happy to be here and learn from all the experts here!

20210304_091318~2.jpg

Glad to meet ya, always nice to put a face to the name Kimber, "Thanks for posting"  :wave2:

• 2 weeks later...

Machinmades is Sami Arim  @machinemades he's a board member here, I might be amiss but Sami does sell quite a few marbles on Ebay. IF you sell marbles on Ebay Joe post your link, maybe a bolster to yer sales ??

EBAY LINK ::  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=325582726259&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562&_ssn=machinemades

• Like 1