Sparklers Or Sunbursts?

hdesousa

The style is what I'm after, assuming Akro made sparklers and Master M made sunbursts.

Ok good, for a second I wondered if there was such a thing as an Akro Sunburst.

To me, logic dictates that if it's an Akro box, in that sort of condition, majority of the marbles should still be Akro. (I know I know, somebody could have just back filled the ones in question, and then added some authentic Agates as a red-herring) :)

Hansel,

After looking more closely I am sure they all are Akro Sparklers. These look to contain more earth colors than more typical ones, which would be the reason Mike might thought they are Sunbursts.

Best regards,

Sami

Sami,

So that we might learn from your expertise, what are you seeing in the marbles that makes you sure they are all sparklers?

(Especially since several experienced collectors are calling at least some of them sunbursts.)

Thanks in advance,

Hansel

most accept 4+ colors ... very clear glass in parts of the marble ... vibrant, strong colors ... white wispy-stringy ribbons ... as sparklers. in general, sunbursts .. lack in most of the attributes of a sparkler. not as many colors ... duller in apperance ... altho, some are up to debate with akro. exceptions in both makers ....... bill

Thanks Bill.

But "exceptions in both makers" confounds positive identification, a least for my undiscerning eye.

Hansel

Hansel

Hansel,

I am not an expert in anything. However the marbles in your box have Sparkler configuration with similar colors of Sunbursts which typically have more earth color whisps. Both types were made with similar sort of injection machinery that I have read about and similar looks. Cutlines are somewhat different and Sparklers typically have clear base glass versus Sunbursts have transparent amber, yellow, brown, green, red etc. base glass. Backlight your marbles and I bet they all have clear base.

Thanks Bill.

But "exceptions in both makers" confounds positive identification, a least for my undiscerning eye.

Hansel

Hansel

your welcome ... my problem with trying to type and make my thoughts understood with this computer... is not my cup of tea. in hand ... is the best way for me to distinquish differances. either way on the sparklers .... an outstanding akro box you have. bill

Hansel,

I am not an expert in anything. However the marbles in your box have Sparkler configuration with similar colors of Sunbursts which typically have more earth color whisps. Both types were made with similar sort of injection machinery that I have read about and similar looks. Cutlines are somewhat different and Sparklers typically have clear base glass versus Sunbursts have transparent amber, yellow, brown, green, red etc. base glass. Backlight your marbles and I bet they all have clear base.

Thanks Sami.

The distinction between a clear base vs a colored base is something even I can grasp!

regards,

Hansel

Dan,

Thanks for the reply. Can you say what about the marbles makes you think they are all sunbursts?

Hansel

At first look, the duller, more muted colors, made me think Sunbursts. Although that might be a Sparkler in the top row. Taking a second look, that is a rather strange assortment and arrangement of marbles for an Akro box. Even with the larger corks, the non blue/red ones seem to be out-of-place to me. No expertise, just an opinion.

thanks