Who All Made Vaseline Slags?

Steph

All the slag makers except MFC?

As far as I know.

I have a few each from Akro, Peltier, and Christensen. They're not particularly common, though.

Akro probably had the most, and the biggest, although I don't know for sure, since I never actively pursued them. I spent most of my time scrounging around for Pelt ones!

And according to the MFC records, they didn't have Vaseline.

The full extent of my knowledge.

Agree with Ann! I can't think of another manufacturer, and I'm bummed that I haven't yet found a Pelt yet. And yes, I've seen no reliable information in the history of MFC that vaseline glass was ever made by them. Also, big surprise, but I've been unable with any confidence to separate out my putative Akros and CAC vaseline slags...they sit together for now. John

What about the Foreign slags, did any of them have the Uranium glow?

I have a problematic medium green one -- problematic in that structurally it looks like a German 2-seamed slag, but it's hot as heck, pure bright uranium green under UV

None of my other German 2-seamed slags glow green like that -- just the occasional threads of hot orange. So the green one is problematic for me. The medium green color in regular light looks very CAC

>>banging head on desk<<

Anybody else?

So that was fun to do!

#4 of the red #2 seam Ger. slags I have do glow like crazy.

#3 of the green #2 seam slags do glow.

But what amazes me the most,the clear transp- colorless based ones ,they all glow,some light green,some pink and others lavender.

Does anyone else have clear colorless based slags,if you have go to look and maybe you're surprised too.

Well, I remembered correctly, more or less. Only the green 2-seamed slag was hot uranium green under UV. Two red ones lit up with streaks of orange. The rest (a dozen or so, including the transparent colorless ones) did not react.

But. A few of my Euro sparklers caught me by surprise. Some had the expected threads (or areas) of hot orange, but on two of them the moderate to small areas of white lit up lavender! Never seen that before. Wow.

So you have some red 2-seamed ones that glow green, Winnie? Or am I reading that wrong?

The red ones do not glow green (that would be a surpriseLOL).

They glow looks like fire,it's very bright reddish-orange.

Ann do you have wirepull's with red,if so look at the red under UV light and you can see it.

I have been told that it's caused by Manganese.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not in the book....couldn't be.....just because it has a nine & tail........means nothing! Mon

I remember my gramps telling me how he use to throw Vaseline slags at mf's windows cause he disliked the rich.....maybe that's how it was found there?

I have a problematic medium green one -- problematic in that structurally it looks like a German 2-seamed slag, but it's hot as heck, pure bright uranium green under UV

None of my other German 2-seamed slags glow green like that -- just the occasional threads of hot orange. So the green one is problematic for me. The medium green color in regular light looks very CAC

>>banging head on desk<<

Anybody else?

FWIW: Akro fluorescent cullet - two colors:

IMG_5482.jpg

IMG_5483.jpg

That's an interesting tidbit about your MFC finds, Brian.

Sure is. Especially since it's not mentioned in the MFC book. Hmmmm . . .

Yep, that big chunk of serious green is the green I was talking about, Alan -- nice cullet! And nice to see the two colors for comparison.