Marbleholics Anonymous Meeting

Hi, my name is Jason, and I am addicted to collecting marbles.

Don't get me wrong, I take great joy in it. But it seems no matter how many marbles I have, I want more. I am never entirely satisfied with what I have.

Sometimes I feel anxious knowing there are marbles out there in the wild that I don't know about, and that some other collector will find those first.

I realize I can find more satisfaction in this hobby if I simply focus on the marbles I do have, and be thankful for that.

Thank you.

Who is next? Who else would like to tell the group about their marble problem?

Clipboard01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Hi . My name is Tommy.  I have been away from my collection for 9 days. I have only been using marbles for almost a year . I was going through withdrawal not being able to :lol-016:  I was driving by old houses thinking they might have some mibs. Lol... I'm home now and I will always bring a few mibs with me 

Thanks ......

Whose next.. it feels better to share 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi my name is Chad !! as for my appearance I will remain anonymous..... :character-smileys-238:  And yes I too am addicted to marble collecting. Guess I don't have to post any pix, looks like Jason has most of the same paraphernalia I do. I can't seem to be able to even walk by any of my displays without at least looking at or touching them, or at it's worst "reorganizing"  :lol-016: a Pain staking long process of torture & back pain  I put myself through routinely for no good reason except to "Work" in a few more marbles :evil-grin-smileys-111:   "Antique & thrift stores" pretty bad when you walk in any of them in a 50 mile radius on a first name basis. I wish I knew what that 'Bug" looked like 🐛 I have a pretty good idea as we probably do !! At what point does it become "Hoarding" ?? When you begin hiding mibs not on display because there is no more room ?? I guess maybe I have more than one problem to go along with this addiction, the addiction probably being the healthier of the two ( or more)  Maybe not hoarding because unlike other addictions I give away & share what I have, an excuse to keep doing what I'm doing but it sounds good to me. One is to many & a thousand is never enough. I thought I would feel better but maybe a few more meetings under my belt and I'll be better ?? :dunno:

• Like 1

Hi. My name is wvron and I have been addicted to all marbles for many many years. I was warned early on. But I do not want this addiction to ever go away. It has had so many rewards from all angles. I do not regret any single week of it. I have dug marbles at almost all the marble factory sites from St.Louis to the east coast. I have helped with seven or eight marble books. I have attended hundreds of marble shows from Maine to FL to Kansas to TX and most in between. The best of it all has been the people along the journey. 

• Like 3

Welcome everyone and thank you for sharing your experience and your feelings.

Ron clearly speak as a veteran who has found peace with his addiction. He was warned about it but he went for it anyway, and has since found particularly rich rewards.

That is a lesson for us all. There is more to this hobby than another box full of killers buried in our closet. There is also the journeys this hobby takes us on, the thrill of the chase, the history we connect to and which some of us uncover, and lastly the friends we can share the ups and downs with while teaching each other about marbles and life.

It seems we who have lost our marbles can find ourselves seeking them out again.

• Like 2

I have some that were custom made out of very heavy Brazilian hardwoods, I'll contact him & see if he will send overseas. Here are a few boxes the person I know made for me. He is well known here & his work is impeccable. All boxes were made to my specifications and from the wood of my choice. I have a few more being made right now & will post them probably within the month. From $35.00 to over $100.00 depends on size & material. Here are a few pics of the boxes I have. All of these have magnetic locks but he can put the regular hasp on them if you like. I will Email him tonight Joep & see what he says about overseas.

DSC02984.JPG

DSC02982.JPG

DSC02981.JPG

DSC02980.JPG

DSC02987.JPG

DSC02989.JPG

DSC02992.JPG

• Like 1

I seem too have acquired these same symptoms....driving and spotting an old barn and thinking what might be inside, walking past them in my house stopping to look, first name basis at several stores, stashing here and there, even wondering what they are "doing" when I am at work. Wondering though, does waking up at 3am with your mind racing (what I am experiencing now) qualify as a symptom? 🤒🤧 Oooooh Noooo! I think I have been exposed 😳 I should have never touched that $7 plastic tub of marbles back in December. Now look what's happened. Being consumed by the wants associated with this ailment and now I have cast myself into this motley crew of individuals. Something deep inside inside me though is telling me that everything, one day, will be ok. Glad I got that off my chest. Thanks for starting this column, such fun! 🤣

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, William said:

I seem too have acquired these same symptoms....driving and spotting an old barn and thinking what might be inside, walking past them in my house stopping to look, first name basis at several stores, stashing here and there, even wondering what they are "doing" when I am at work. Wondering though, does waking up at 3am with your mind racing (what I am experiencing now) qualify as a symptom? 🤒🤧 Oooooh Noooo! I think I have been exposed 😳 I should have never touched that $7 plastic tub of marbles back in December. Now look what's happened. Being consumed by the wants associated with this ailment and now I have cast myself into this motley crew of individuals. Something deep inside inside me though is telling me that everything, one day, will be ok. Glad I got that off my chest. Thanks for starting this column, such fun! 🤣

This isn't helping matters at all...figured I would turn on the TV and fall asleep to something. Chose "Leave it to Beaver" guess What they are doing up in their room? Playing with marbles!!!!

2 hours ago, William said:

This isn't helping matters at all...figured I would turn on the TV and fall asleep to something. Chose "Leave it to Beaver" guess What they are doing up in their room? Playing with marbles!!!!

Here we go again....

20210507_070036.jpg

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, rockgardenplants said:

If anyone has a marble addiction, KEEP IT GOING!  If you give it up, that's when you go koo-koo! 

Here's what you may receive: a straight jacket, a rubber room and a single pee-wee clearie. No marble books, either.

That would be a sad life.

Hah! A single pee-wee clearie would bring little comfort. I think for added torment, it should be an untinted clearie with zero bubbles to marvel at.

10 hours ago, wvrons said:

Leave it to Beaver.  We like the same tv shows. Plus Andy & Barney, Gunsmoke, and more. 

Rifleman, Bonanza, Alfred Hitchcock, Hogans Heroes, the list goes on and on. Always bouncing between MeTV and various Roku channels 😊

15 minutes ago, bumblebee said:

Guessing most of my fellow marbleholics can relate to when you think you shared a photo of your collection, you later discover enough marbles elsewhere in your house or garage to comprise another entire collection. ;)

IMG_2351.jpg?u=bac241b1&access_token=eyJ

Wow those are beautiful aggies....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is, 4am CST. I'm awake. Why? Because a 3 town, 2 state road trip is planned. A trip that doesn't begin for many hours yet. Why?  Because I'm still sick. I was treated for being a footballcardaholic. I did get some help for my agatetism, though as its warmed up outside I start having fits every time I'm near any kind of river rock landscaping or rock quarry. But this? Having become a marbleaholic? Man, it's beginning to throttle me worse than Homer Simpson does Bart! I remember once telling Ron in conversation after I first joined here that I didn't really travel that often. Granted I don't go very far but I am starting to feel like a fibber by saying that because it's become almost every week! 🤥 AND I LIKE IT. Funday Friday, Hello there 👋

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, William said:

Here it is, 4am CST. I'm awake. Why? Because a 3 town, 2 state road trip is planned. A trip that doesn't begin for many hours yet. Why?  Because I'm still sick. I was treated for being a footballcardaholic. I did get some help for my agatetism, though as its warmed up outside I start having fits every time I'm near any kind of river rock landscaping or rock quarry. But this? Having become a marbleaholic? Man, it's beginning to throttle me worse than Homer Simpson does Bart! I remember once telling Ron in conversation after I first joined here that I didn't really travel that often. Granted I don't go very far but I am starting to feel like a fibber by saying that because it's become almost every week! 🤥 AND I LIKE IT. Funday Friday, Hello there 👋

Feed me more! 

20210521_044608.jpg

I should mention that Wednesday was particularly tough because my gal went to lunch with her mother and sister while I was at work. And guess what she did!!?!??! Went hunting without me!!! Even teased me with texts and images!!! At least she felt bad enough about and when she couldn't find any mibs, gifted me with 4 new pet frogs! 🐸 I suppose I should mention, she suffers too, but she's not a marbleaholic. She's a fishaholic. I'd say she satisfied her craving Wednesday 😬

20210521_050456.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found myself on memorial day looking at my mibs again :lol-016:.and thought who can I show these to lol thats right at the meeting 😅 

In remembering our soldiers some red white and blue mibs I want to post here

Thanks for listening 

20210531_183751.jpg

20210531_183712.jpg

20210531_184026.jpg

• Like 1