are "error marbles" rare?

Jeremysvt

Jeremy, collectors (DO) choose to collect certain categories of marbles. I collect (footballs) myself along with other oddities. Ric is correct as (we) collectors look more for the oddities more than production mistakes, but one has to decide what one likes the best. Double ingots, eggs, and footballs we can find them all with a little looking. I have know collectors over the years that do add these to their collections as conversation pieces. Chuck G---

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chuck G said:

Jeremy, collectors (DO) choose to collect certain categories of marbles. I collect (footballs) myself along with other oddities. Ric is correct as (we) collectors look more for the oddities more than production mistakes, but one has to decide what one likes the best. Double ingots, eggs, and footballs we can find them all with a little looking. I have know collectors over the years that do add these to their collections as conversation pieces. Chuck G---

Thanks!  I remember when I was a young baseball card collector and searching for error cards. 

Error marbles used to be rare, when the wild existed. 
The wild (no pollution from any other outside source) is a rare and highly searched thing in today’s world. 
If you can find these error marbles in a verified collection that has never seen the internet or other collectors in sales or purchases-- rare imho.
Marble—On!!

48 minutes ago, akroorka said:

If you can find these error marbles in a verified collection that has never seen the internet or other collectors in sales or purchases-- rare imho.
Marble—On!!

Manufacturers' QC processes made them rare, no doubt.

20 hours ago, Jeremysvt said:

Thanks!  I remember when I was a young baseball card collector and searching for error cards. 

I collected football cards for around 30 years, but for a brief time I did pick up a box of baseball or basketball occasionally. I recall busting boxes looking for the Frank Thomas "no name" rookie (1990 Topps I think?) Cracked many packs hoping to hit it but too no avail. Not sure about now, but at one point, Beckett had this particular rookie card listed at about 2 bucks straight from the pack. The error card without his name on it? A cool $1,500. I'm sure it's way down now, but maybe the Graded copies are fetching a decent price. Thought I would share 😊

• Like 1

If error marbles are valuable, I am rich. I am sure with each company, that they happened every hour many days and some days not many.  When one happens at 250 per minute several can happen until the problem is corrected.  As people packaged marbles, bags, boxes, wood or metal drums. They did try to sort out the non standard. But it was all hand work, pick out the bad ones as they rolled down a trough to be packaged. I have seen pictures and watched them do it. I could have never done it for one shift. Let alone five days a week for a year.