Akro Friday

4 minutes ago, Jeff54 said:

Here's a mint 3/4" factory dug-up that wanted to defy the spinning cup and all else Akro made. Rather than cork or patch it decided to horseshoe.

It's an interesting one for sure - you don't often see Akros with seams "pinched" to a fold.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ric said:

It's an interesting one for sure - you don't often see Akros with seams "pinched" to a fold.

Indeed, virtually impossible except for the rule: 'Range of variation.' The colors and striping, as I've noticed, is very rare. I mean, I believe I have seen only one  in a 5/8" corkscrew,, (not dug-up) but wasn't as pretty, perhaps for being smaller.

So, you could presume it processed through Barker's (Spinning cup) system. If it was unfolded without a spin then; the same as other's made during Barker's process, using his friction gear, (Otherwise described as a transmission) where an occasional patch occurs during the process, you'd get the red opened as a patch, that would be neat too. Were it to have been spin into a corkscrew, in this 3/4" size, with all the striping and rarity, just completely awesome.

That's of the reasons I like factory dug-up marbles. There are many things that were lost and long forgotten that kids had to choose from. To compete against, wager our skills and luck. To collect a bag of amazing glass balls, which is not unlike the war of cash today: To virtually archive the same goal; wager, luck, skill,  trade or cash for the most dazzling and mind-boggling range of variation. 

• Like 3