Akro Friday

On 3/10/2023 at 5:34 PM, Ric said:

Unique . . .

RicA0025.jpg.a0dbbc128af354ce544ada89bfb9f23f.jpg

@Jeff54 got me looking - I know I have one like the "green eye" he posted here earlier. But at the moment, only the marble gods know where that one is.

How interesting Ric. Do I spy a line of Oxblood too? (Hint: MFC, Akro and Germany's Ground pontal HG,, under UV light, Oxblood is Black as midnight overcast by clouds and can't see a thing.)

Maybe we have another category for Unique and Hero. Dare I say: Exotics?

As for the Green eye, I can't remember if that's what Roger Harty called it or if I did. I acquired mine from a collector so many years ago I forgot who, except somebody whom I trusted a lot more then the average and or who would not fabricate the story of where or whom he'd got it from.

So, maybe it comes down to the brown and its make up. You'd have to study mine to see that it's pretty unique, in its own, as color goes. Transparent and the deep brown has filaments inside that's causing it to be so dark and rather special. It's not like any transparent brown I have ever seen for the contrast that's like separate chemicals blended together to achieve a 'Unique' effect.  Could they all be like this? I have no clue because there's only one box on the net of each, Heros and Uniques which are restricted to viewers.

I think they're the very same original boxes shown 20 years ago too. Yet, I've never seen them where this dark brown is so 'Unique'. Rather those original boxes appear as ordinary, in comparison to mine, dull.. 

So, I wonder; your brown, in the center patch, where it's deepest and looks like a perfect match in color but, does your brown appear as special as mine with filaments that darkens the transparency? IDK if it matters or not, but maybe. 

1 hour ago, Jeff54 said:

. . . So, I wonder; your brown, in the center patch, where it's deepest and looks like a perfect match in color but, does your brown appear as special as mine with filaments that darkens the transparency? IDK if it matters or not, but maybe. 

There are certainly dark filaments when I look at it with a loupe and there may be some oxblood in there too. Together with the other colors and thick/thin areas, it sure makes for an attractive patch. But then, I am a big fan of nice brown coloring on a marble too.

P.S. I found my "green eye" but y'all are going to have to wait until this coming "Akro Friday" to see it. lol

:pirate:  "Happy Akro FRiday "  :pirate:

" Some info on Oxbloods"

image.png.bc177be3b82f424951ee68c6f8bdd911.png                                               :wave2:                                             image.png.908910bc6629e1b75b2e6041302da258.png

However, the most collectible are the Oxbloods. Oxblood actually refers to a specific color that is found on the marble. This is a deep rust red with black filaments in it. The color is very similar to dried blood, hence the name. It is often confused with red colors of other manufacturers. However, those colors are almost always translucent to transparent and do not have black filaments. Oxblood must be opaque and it must have black filaments in it.Oxbloods are found in corkscrew, swirl or patch varieties. They are usually referred to by the name of the underlying marble that they are found on: Chocolate oxblood (opaque brown or dark tan base with oxblood), clear oxblood (transparent clear base with oxblood), milky oxblood (translucent white base with oxblood), silver oxblood (translucent silver base with opaque white swirls and oxblood), limeade oxblood (limeade corkscrew with oxblood), egg yolk oxblood (milky white base with a bright yellow swirl and oxblood), carnelian oxblood (milky white and brown swirls with oxblood), blue oxblood (milky white base with a translucent blue swirl and oxblood), orange oxblood (milky white base with translucent orange swirls and oxblood), lemonade oxblood (milky white base with yellow swirl and oxblood), oxblood corkscrew (opaque white base with an oxblood corkscrew, sometimes on a dark blue spiral, which is called a blue-blood), swirl oxblood (white base with oxblood swirls), patch oxblood (white base with a stripe of oxblood on one side). The swirl and patch oxbloods are generally believed to be more recent than the others. Also, some hybrid combinations of two of the above have been found, but they are extremely rare. Generally, the oxblood floats on the surface of the marble. It is less common to find some of the oxblood inside the marble.

MORE AKRO LINK ::  https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mibzandmore/viewtopic.php?t=26

MCSA SITE LINK ::  https://www.marblecollecting.com/marble-reference/online-marble-id-guide/akro-agate-co/

309.PNG

image.png.a6aaad253de070e62a0b3ee572a62d09.png

• Like 3
  • Wow 3

12 hours ago, Ric said:

The colors are a bit different than the one Jeff showed but the pattern is similar - I was never quite sure where to put it.

RicA0026.jpg.6214d022f6671328a953567a34f8e131.jpg

Below is @Jeff54's for comparison . . .

https://marbleconnection.com/uploads/monthly_2023_02/akrogreeneyedunique.jpg.08f0ea40777e7833449c442bc5a2580a.jpg

Yeah, green is not the same, but when you know the brown, it's all downhill. And I was reading Castle and Peterson's 1996 book, page 23 para 4, which says different for Unique and Hero. The Unique is "browns and purple on creamy white" and the Hero is browns on creamy white. They also say that they are like a version of the Sparklers but opaque, so there's more than just Hero and Unique moreover, they are just part of the Opaque sparker versions with more colors than Unique and Hero, like blue and yellow body glass and?.. .

So, welcome back to more mystery. lol

Edited by Jeff54

Another Poor old Photo. 

It's a dug-up and but, never seen anything like it. Not simply Oxblood and yellow which I've not seen In Akro but, poor photo is a little difficult to see; on the left side of it, the anemic Oxblood floating on it too.

659127956_DugYellowbaseNOxblood.jpg.c067422bcdaf9bcf6b520694758d9c41.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jeff54 said:

Another Poor old Photo. 

It's a dug-up and but, never seen anything like it. Not simply Oxblood and yellow which I've not seen In Akro but, poor photo is a little difficult to see; on the left side of it, the anemic Oxblood floating on it too.

659127956_DugYellowbaseNOxblood.jpg.c067422bcdaf9bcf6b520694758d9c41.jpg

Looks like a almost exact match base and striping for Sistersville Alley.

• Award 1

21 hours ago, Jeff54 said:

15 hours ago, wvrons said:

Looks like a almost exact match base and striping for Sistersville Alley.

Here's a sample from Sistersville for comparison . . .

RicA0029.jpg.a483f3a5ee8d2f65eccf7ae05a166345.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

20 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

"Happy Akro Friday" guess I could have posted these one @ a time but what would be the fun in that   :pirate:

.That's a great collage, Chad - a nice group of classic Akros and excellent photos too!

Here's an odd duck and a normal patch. The odd patch on the left sort of reminds me a little of the "Eye" type patches I have been interested in lately. It's also has seams that are "pinched" together. And what appears to be black bursting out of the seams actually is black, or maybe about as black as purple can get given the purple streaking over the blue on this 100% opaque marble. I think it's pretty unique and I like it quite a bit, but it sort of makes me want to take a hammer to the one on the right just to see what's under that blue. 😄

RicA0032.thumb.jpg.a556d880b919d0c04a89127796b99032.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

image.png.099344e2e1d6e83f0a18435eaa349df4.png                                                                                                                     image.png.ba7d89f261a4803d60c4fe3df8a4f5fa.png

Smore Akro, a group of Ade Patches, Lemon, Lime & Cherry for this "Akro Friday"image.thumb.png.fbced80599bd5c678133895de557cc90.png

• Like 3
  • Wow 1