Canadian Transitionals?

I took these photos at the Canton marble show last year of someone’s awesome Canadian transitional marbles. I unfortunately didn’t note his name so I’m not sure whose marbles they were. However he was sitting next to Sami Arim, of Peltier notoriety.  

What is known of this mysterious marble maker in Canada? I assume it was in either in Hamilton or Montreal; which were two of the largest glass manufacturing areas in Canada historically. 

I am not even certain as to when these were made. But from the colors I doubt they are the age of MFC or earlier Leightons/Navarres. The colors rather resemble CAC colors so possibly they dare from the 1920s to 30s. They could be later or earlier, not sure. 

E4EB9E38-8B30-4EEA-96A1-9425B4A69FDF.jpeg

1281A25C-D360-4971-A044-654BBE97052F.jpeg

• Like 1

It's been looked into over the years.  I'm not aware of anything definitive, but lots of rumors. 

Generally two opaque colors, hand gathered (the "nine" pattern looking more like a corkscrew than a tight nine), and a cut off point.  Not a rough cut off like Yasuda, or a "pontil" like you'd see on German handmades... although I've had three of these with same color combo and pattern, with 3 very different cut offs.  

If not Canadian (I doubt it), Foreign would be my guess before US made.

48 minutes ago, bumblebee said:

@Steph, didn't I find some newspaper ad from Canada that mentioned a more colorful variety than the usual offering from Asia?

My brain betrays me. 😗

Not as bad as mine does me.   I can't say I remember that.  

I wondered if it might be something you sent via Facebook messenger, but searching that for "Canada" or "Canadian" isn't pulling the article up.

43 minutes ago, Joe2 said:

Chanterelle mushrooms, there's a guy that harvests them up in the hills here on the Central Coast sure would love to get a box of those.

Last year !! Just enough for dinner  :)  Me and my family bought for local & export 18 varieties of wild & exotic gourmet mushrooms,Chanterelles were one of our mainstays.

image.thumb.png.11376bdb9fddff0a4ecaa76ffec998c4.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMG_20230214_183616192.thumb.jpg.d4b871d474b11fdaeba199697d0a0d6f.jpgIMG_20230214_183859456_HDR.thumb.jpg.105544fa8b0b9f600e25ed4760691cab.jpgIMG_20230214_183909598.thumb.jpg.a44cfec6a058b239374601036e3cc1bc.jpgSupposedly prospecting country in western Canada though we will likely never know because the owner of the collection most of those came from, and mine, has long since passed away without ever finding a definitive answer.

Edit:

Should probably also note that while the two color opaques are probably the most famous there is also a slag palette of green, aqua, brown, purple, orange, vaseline and cobalt.  There is also an exceptionally rare type that is opaque yellow on a transparent green base.

• Like 2
  • Award 1