Jabos In The Spotlight!!

Scoop

I only have a few of the new runs of Jabos and the ones I do have are not "scary" as compared to vintage marbles...

Since I kinda need a marble to start this off, I'll post the first Jabo I ever saw that might confuse a collector... It's a very good corkscrew, in coveted blue & green colors.

Those who really know their Akro probably wouldn't flinch... But, some others might. There was a time when we could show a newbie a corkscrew and say, "If the pattern does this, odds are, it's Akro." The days of being THAT sure of anything are probably over... So, let's study up and learn what's out there.... Post 'em if ya got 'em!!! Let's keep it a learning thing, please...

post-3-127117736222_thumb.jpg

post-3-127117737605_thumb.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whitegreenandbluecork.jpgblueandgreencorks.jpgSorry Lou, I couldn't pass this up. I believe David's instructions were to post the offending JABO side by side with the vintage marble it might be mistaken for. Which one of these blue and green corks would be confused with that JABO?

Edna, Sue said, "Those who really know their Akro probably wouldn't flinch... But, some others might." You know your Akro. Your mibs show why you wouldn't need to flinch. But a wishful newbie could get thrown by the one Sue posted.

I don't think this thread is necessarily meant to conform to David's specs. Not many people have both Jabos and the vintage ones which might match them.

I actually tried to save pairs like that, starting about my 2nd year of collecting. But I got tired of it by about my 4th. At that point I didn't need the comparisons anymore. Wish I'd kept 'em now. Woulda been fun.

I thought it was to be educational. Maybe convince some of us the JABO's were dangerous. Maybe disprove the detractors remarks. I thought it was a great idea to do this. I'd like to see a lot of mimic JABO's and the marble they mimic. (If they indeed exist and they might.) In David's words I think "Bring them on".

A newbie might consider it educational. Sue's not-cork. Your corks. It might not be the lesson David was daring us to try to teach. But it might still be educational if approached in a positve spirit.

I'd think about adding some examples but as I said in that other thread, the examples I have right now are ones which go the other way. They're non-Jabos which I was told were Jabos.

I still could try to get a pic of the special runs which I think look like Champion furnace mibs! LOL. But I guess those wouldn't apply either. Champion furnace mibs aren't vintage, are they? :huh:

Jabos and Ravenswoods might be a good place to look for similar appearance examples. But the same problem comes up. Will those who collect Ravenswoods have that many Jabos to place next to 'em for comparison photos?

Eneeway, here's page 2 of a favorite link, with a response at the end there from dink1111 about how they're gonna have to look through their Jabo mountain to see if there were any Ravenswoods in it.

Your Cub Scouts and Bumble Bees are in all probability Vacor. I've seen them and the Vacors are sufficiently different not to fool someone with a little experience with regular Bumble Bees and Cub Scouts by Marble King. Not that being fooled wouldn't escape everyone. It is more in the degree of knowledge and familiarity that the collector has then in the marbles themselves.

On the other question of Jabos and Ravenswoods. I have both.....in spades and I have never seen a Ravenswood that approaches the appearance of Jabos. I have seen Ravenswoods with ironclad provenance that I didn't think were Ravenswood. Try that one on.

Lest anyone forget within the first 2 or 3 Posts of this donnybrook the initial educational subject matter was clearly hijacked and turned around to an accusation against Jabo for purposely making and/or attempting to make vintage marbles. So while I've tried to turn this around again to an Educational endeavor I am not pleased that the Thread has been permeated with negative feelings towards Jabo. Some of you might be ticked off at me but I have actually attempted to keep the matter on track.

David

That was a kick reading that old Ravenswood thread again, at least Pg. 2. I might add that I have discovered another Ravenswood oxblood variety and only had two of them until just the other day. Now I have three. My two came out of those boxes in the 1987 find and they are basically white with a semi-translucent swirl and a distinctive thin line of oxblood that follows the green swirl. Amazingly one of the two bags of Ravenswood that digswithstick just sent me that he turned up in an antique shop had one exactly like the other two I have. Boy was I stoked! I need to call him and let him know he needs to look closely at his bags. I understand Ron is getting some of the bags as well. Most all of the marbles in the bags appear to duplicate marbles from the 1987 find. I'm not sure just how old the actualy marbles are but I would suspect late 1930s/early 1940s. I'm guessing. David

heres one. it's listed properly, but..what happens with this down the road... akro silver oxbloods sell for well over 100.00

oxblood silver

Yes, it's listed properly, but it doesn't look Akro to me. Maybe an infant collector could mistake it for one, but infant collectors shouldn't be buying hundred-dollar marbles. If they are, well . . . it's on them. Sorry. Just MHO. :character-smileys-238:

If you put it up for ID outright one of my first questions would be about what size it is.

But then after you told me, if you told me 5/8" for instance, I'd have to go do some research to see how many 5/8"-ers would have been made like this.

Still under the impression that most Jabo runs in the last coupla years were 3/4", but not sure about that anymore. Have lost track.

I am not sure that i get all this. I have seen,had,and own marbles that i still get confused about. I have and had marbles that has changed spots or makers,two or maybe three times,in my collection. I bought,acquired or kept the marble because i liked it,was curious about it,it was odd,rare,filled a spot for a certian type,etc. I guess that is why my collection grows to large. Maybe,i should specialize in one company or type. I have tried that,but not much success. With a good variety,i never have a danger of getting bored with marbles. I can always find a marble that catches my eye,or makes me wonder,how,why,when? Why does a marble drop in value from $400.00 to $10.00 just because it is newer? Did the marble itself change that much? If i buy a mint or nm+ antique auto for $25,000.00 and it ends up being a 2010,it is still worth $25,000.00 or near it. Why do certian things only have a good value when they are old? Numbers produced or is it the numbers lost? Is a item only rare with age? This is not the first confusion or misidentification of marbles. I don't think it will be the last. It will happen again and not only with Jabo. Hopefully it will work out,with a honest person,for most. Just like it has recently. For some it will not. But,we should hope there is more good than bad in this world. I can fill your hands with WV swirls that are easily confused with one another. Comparison should be a learning tool,not a disappointment,or fear.

Have a nice weekend. I am off to Baltimore and DC.