Did You Ever Play Marbles?

I've practiced shooting a few times as an adult. I suck. :rolleye-842: I tell myself I'll practice on more regular basis, but then of course I don't.

In sixth grade there were some girls who played marbles, but my mother wouldn't let me play for keeps, so I missed that chance to learn the sport and bond with the kids.

I needed bonding -- that was the 9th school I had attended -- I needed bonding something fierce. :D But Momma didn't get that.

Oh sheesh ... TMI? lol ... I hope your marble playing stories are more fun than mine. ;)

Oh...I played with my Great Grandfather's marbles when I was a child. I can remember playing with them on the living room floor. It would be 1970ish.

I now know they were Germans, then they were just pretty marbles.

In 1978 we moved to South Carolina....the game every kid was playing was marbles.

My mother did not understand the NEED to buy marbles for the most part, but to stop the pestering.....bought me a bag of cats eyes...:(

Practicing for days, my neighbor helping me, at school, Monday, I entered the playground,marbles clutched in my fist, in my pocket (No, I never had a marble bag).

"NEW GAME!" is shouted. The ring is drawn out in the dirt/sand. I say I want to play....they know I have never had marbles before and ask to see what I have.....I show my cats eyes and I am promptly told no one will risk their Bumble bees or Blg blue worlds ( I STILL have not found out what those are, no one has heard the term) against my cats eyes,,,and I am crushed. The remainder of the school year people will play funsies with me and only with their beaters.

That summer we moved to Indiana, no one there played marbles......the oddity of that was it was kokomo, Indiana I had moved to in 1979. I never played marbles again.

I go back to the days when the boys played marbles and the girls jumped rope and played hopscotch. I do remember playing marbles at least once though. When I tried to shoot, my marble flew into the air and hit a boy in the mouth, chipping a tooth. Since I had a terrible crush on this boy, I was devastated and gave up the game.

I can't remember my brothers having marbles or collecting them. I think my older brother collected Cabbies' buttons to wear on his cap. That was a long time ago.

pollyestr2

I played at school recess, in the dirt, mostly with boys. Sometimes I just watched because I was frequently reluctant to play for keeps. Didn't want to lose any. I was only an average player. I guess I played until around fifth or sixth grade?

I played once in Hannibal, MO. I was in my 50's and John Hamon Miller and Jack Noonan always had a marble tournament as part of the Huck Finn Marble Show. I didn't want to play cause I had never played before. I got drafted like the Army. We were playing poison. I had beginners luck on the first 3 holes. I shot like a Rolley Hole professional marble shooter. All the spectators were chanting "Whoop! Whoop! for me. they were also shouting "Ringer" cause

they thought I was lying about never having played before. Then beginners luck ran out. I couldn't even shoot the marble after those first 3 holes. I

ended up last . I couldn't get the marble to leave my hand farther than 3 inches out of my fingers. I was a flop.

I played a lot in the 50's and was not very good at it. My cousin would always win like he does at everything. We would usually just dig a hole and first In would win the lot. Now I just buy , sell and trade them as a very enjoyable hobby and my cousin does not get any of them. lol.