Pontils

Steph

Do we have a good thread all about pontils? I haven't updated my links in awhile.

Anyone want to take a shot at photographing pontils to post here?

Fancy ones are cool. But standard ones would be good too. So we can show this thread to new collectors so they can know what to look for. Not everything has to be close-ups. Showing the whole marble would be good too so that folks know what kinds of marbles they're likely to see pontils on. :thup:

Yes thats regular.

Actually Idans already shows all the existing pontils,isn't it?

Here's another ground pontil

germ-ha%20Large_zpsq88yfaww.jpg

and a kind of gound pontil

1.blue-base%20Large_zpsxm0tz486.jpg

regular pontil or rough transitional cut off

regular%20Large_zpswfx7ajsd.jpg

regular pontil

blue.red%20Large_zpsney2dvp1.jpg

This is what I think it is,please tell me if I'm wrong.

Here's a close-up picture that Dan did back in 2005 - thought I'd post it with his description:

Pontils: Regular, Ground/Faceted, Melted, and Bullet Mold. Then there are Manufacturer or Cut Marks: Pinpoint, Folded, Pinch, Crease(spider web), and a Seam(which normally runs from pole to pole). Hope this helps.

post-60-0-11612200-1435774729_thumb.jpg

In my view - pontils (Frequently refered to as "pontil scars.") - except the faceted or ground pontils were a product of shearing the last marble from the molten gather just before rounding. The ground pontil was produced by a second hand held step where the rough shear scar was ground off using a grinding wheel - leaving single or multiple facets. The pictured circular scars in this thread are made by the marble shears not an abrasive wheel.

Big Indian

In my view - pontils (Frequently refered to as "pontil scars.") - except the faceted or ground pontils were a product of shearing the last marble from the molten gather just before rounding. The ground pontil was produced by a second hand held step where the rough shear scar was ground off using a grinding wheel - leaving single or multiple facets. The pictured circular scars in this thread are made by the marble shears not an abrasive wheel.

Big Indian

not only that but with the reproduction of marbles today and these bulgarian marbles surfacing trying to be germans.. a marble whether its a lattiacino solid core onionskin banded lutz any from the early days of the mid 1800's to the early 1900's of being more complex marbles...a pontil hasn't strayed from the orginal i haven't seen a pontil regular ground facet pinch look much different then each other... with that being said i use this to compare a marble to see if its real or repro... also studying pontil can help with seeing if a marble has been buffed polished or orginal

• 9 months later...
  • 7 years later...