West Virginia Wednesday !!

On 7/28/2021 at 10:38 PM, wvrons said:

A few from Sistersville WV 1932-1936. 

DSC07270.JPG.5096542da8833c110bb95d6803a35691.JPGDSC07273.JPG.c010d3be3bdb04e5bf789a0bb0ddf21c.JPGDSC07282.JPG.ab0a68efc74e4cc38a0035c2c2742b63.JPGDSC07297.JPG.275a648351ad1bb3094d2951236993a7.JPGDSC07308.JPG.d993ad5651468085ee0f21e8441ca702.JPGDSC07328.JPG.871047bafa68c0306e13120836c08f8a.JPGDSC07311.JPG.0aef8bf8356a80a6d6a723c817fe6506.JPGDSC07321.JPG.9ad4b143070bca7e869c140f0bd2cde4.JPGDSC07319.JPG.959d40bec43db23bd8e4d435d97e547e.JPG

Hi Ron,  beautiful marbles! ....I have a ?. left 3rd one down, that arm or snot thing I have marbles that have that, is that a seam thing to determine the maker? I know very little about swirls. Thank you in advance!

13 hours ago, cheese said:

Nice odd box Ric! Davis? I don't recall seeing this box before. 

Thanks Chuck, It may be from a family owned department store in Nebraska - pretty sure the marbles are Alley.

Gladys, most WV swirl company marbles do not show the cut line or seam.  Some do but with most it is very difficult to find the cut lines.  But every standard round machine made marble was cut twice.  With WV swirl marbles traits can be size, color combinations, does it glow, the actual pattern of the swirl, the swirl coverage 50% or all over, inside outside, does the swirl stay on the surface or dive in and out. What are the ends of the ribbons or swirls like straight pointed rounded. Having for sure known examples to compare with.  Colors can be very important, even slight difference in shades of color can help. Sometimes you can only narrow a marble down to two companies because they are so much alike or exactly alike.  Alley was the first person to ever make a marble at Ravenswood WV. When he left, Ravenswood Glass, Ravenswood Novelty used his recipes and made marbles same as he did. But changed as time went on.  Some people say WV swirls are the most difficult to separate by companies. Which there were several. There were nine or eleven swirl companies in Ritchie County WV, one county alone.   

Consider this; it is a rare and cool box for sure. A family owned store with a small area of coverage. Perhaps a toy dealer sold the owners marbles from different companies letting them chose what to pack these boxes with. The marbles do not seem to be all from one company.

Regardless of my wanderings on this subject. It is a very cool box with very cool marbles and I want to see more of the box and the marbles---- Thanks for sharing,

Marble on!!

Several glow just as I suspected. I think it is a jobber box. I have seen a few but not with these marbles. It could be a mix ? Some of these boxes that I have seen were mixed WV swirls for sure. How does that opalescent and pink or lavender compare to a Alley Opal Lady ? 

3 minutes ago, wvrons said:

Several glow just as I suspected. I think it is a jobber box. I have seen a few but not with these marbles. It could be a mix ? Some of these boxes that I have seen were mixed WV swirls for sure. How does that opalescent and pink or lavender compare to a Alley Opal Lady ? 

All the white in trans blue or yellow glows - the peach one too. The pink on the green-based one is really close to Alley Ladies but Lady pink and the Opal Lady base don't glow, as far as I know. The box says "Norland Manufacturing Co., 21 Brooklyn NY" on one of the end flaps. I have also seen a bagatelle game they made. So it seems it might not be a local department store?

Ric, I think they are all Davis.  Sounds like a toy company that just got marbles where ever they could for the cheapest price, and used them in their toys. Wilson Davis and his father were having a hard time finding buyers for their marbles. This was when all the little WV marble companies sprang up and in competition. Davis and Jackson were both short lived marble companies. The vast majority of the Davis marbles went to Puerto Rico. A red mesh bag of them was free to each girl if they bought a certain doll.  

On 8/5/2021 at 4:10 PM, wvrons said:

Gladys, most WV swirl company marbles do not show the cut line or seam.  Some do but with most it is very difficult to find the cut lines.  But every standard round machine made marble was cut twice.  With WV swirl marbles traits can be size, color combinations, does it glow, the actual pattern of the swirl, the swirl coverage 50% or all over, inside outside, does the swirl stay on the surface or dive in and out. What are the ends of the ribbons or swirls like straight pointed rounded. Having for sure known examples to compare with.  Colors can be very important, even slight difference in shades of color can help. Sometimes you can only narrow a marble down to two companies because they are so much alike or exactly alike.  Alley was the first person to ever make a marble at Ravenswood WV. When he left, Ravenswood Glass, Ravenswood Novelty used his recipes and made marbles same as he did. But changed as time went on.  Some people say WV swirls are the most difficult to separate by companies. Which there were several. There were nine or eleven swirl companies in Ritchie County WV, one county alone.   

WoW! that's amazing! so much history in these little mibs! how you remember all that is incredible! I am going to give the swirls a go I guess! I still do not have the others down yet!! oh my so much to learn and so little time! Thank you once again Ron.

You are welcome !   The WV swirls can be difficult. But some can master them quick but with effort and study. Ric is a good example of that.  I have been learning marbles for over 25 years. Still learning every week.

• Like 1