Akro Friday

9 minutes ago, Fire1981 said:

Thanks you guys. Does anyone know what my Akro is ? Is it a patch ?

Yes Fire, a nice big Akro patch. These were seen in some of the later gift boxes, the ones with the kids on the cover.

I have seen the spot that you mention on others of all colors. I really do not know the cause of it but I always thought that it may be an annealing/cooling thing.

Marble--On!!

"Happy Akro Friday"   :icon_popcorn:

Trying a bit of the "Group Mentality"  approach out today !!

image.thumb.png.66d7bb047cad9effa6e1443d9ab50ffe.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, akroorka said:

Here are what I consider to be two “Lifesaver” corkscrews.
 I try not to play favorites, they are both very nice.(the one on the right-lol)
Marble—On!!

Two Lifesavers.JPG

I know it's called a lifesaver now but didn't this type  > used <  to be called a "Poll Parrot"  Art ?? I like Poll Parrot much better but nowadays people don't know what you're talking about  : CIRCA 1920's - 1060's sometime ?? You know adapting the name from the old shoe add ??

Mascots like Poll Parrot starred in Vintage Children’s Shoe Ads 1920-1960’s

Poll Parrot Ad 1930

Poll Parrot Shoes Sign 1930 An Entertaining Mascot

I’ve always been fascinated with the mascot characters used in many vintage children’s shoe advertisements such as the Poll Parrot brand. In 1925, the parrot icon was the brainchild of Paul Parrot, the original owner of the Paul Parrot Shoes based in St. Louis, Missouri. Mr. Parrot had an obvious reason to use the parrot for his shoe logo that tied into his name and was a version of Polly Parrot. The company used several parrot models over the years and created the slogan “They speak for themselves”. Their children’s shoes marketing campaigns included many giveaways such as rings, buttons, whistles, bookmarks and banks with the parrot illustration.

Poll Parrot Shoes Magazine Ad

Poll Parrot Shoes Slogan “They Speak for Themselves”

In the 1930’s, a syndicated radio program was launched called the “Cruise of the Poll Parrot”. The radio series featured adventures of a whaling ship also named for the witty Poll Parrot mascot. In 1947, The Company also sponsored the popular Howdy Doody children’s show. The International Shoe Company bought out the Paul Parrot Company early on and used the Paul Parrot trademark for it’s ongoing success.

• Award 1

Poll Parrot is a new term to me regarding corkscrews, I can roll with it though.

All I know is when I have one of these in a group of 100 corks, my eye goes to it. They are a very nice thing to hold and see. I wish that I had ten of them to put into a box.

I have not seen very many in this color combo. I love these things.

One of the top ten corkscrews imho.

Thanks and Marble--on!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, akroorka said:

Poll Parrot is a new term to me regarding corkscrews, I can roll with it though.

All I know is when I have one of these in a group of 100 corks, my eye goes to it. They are a very nice thing to hold and see. I wish that I had ten of them to put into a box.

I have not seen very many in this color combo. I love these things.

One of the top ten corkscrews imho.

Thanks and Marble--on!!

I believe Danny Turner coined the phrase, naming the marble, at least that's what I was lead to believe year's Ago ?? Named for the very similar coloration of the R,G,Y parrot in the old Poll Parrot add. Ah well days gone by, guess I have to be willing to adapt, bend or break ??