Handgathered Peltiers

I posted this Canary in the thread of fluorescent marbles, but then it occurred to me how really special it is for another reason. 

I had a hunch that the majority of marble collectors don't know Peltier made handgathered marbles.  And then ... even knowing that Pelt did ... it's very seldom that one runs across a handgathered marble and can be reasonably confident it was a Pelt.

So ... anyone else come across any handgathered Pelts?  In their own collections or saved pictures?

XUcLgpt.jpg

• Like 1

It has a nine which I noticed when looking at it under blacklight.   

hh6JECC.jpg?1

It stayed a mystery to me for a long time but gradually I got more comfortable thinking of it as a Pelt since I saw it in a Gropper box labeled "Opal Agates".   (Gropper distributed Peltiers.)  Eventually I learned that Canary was an early Pelt name and this is the best candidate for that marble.   And apparently they're described in American Machine-Made Marbles, and I keep forgetting that!  

https://marbleconnection.com/topic/21112-peltier-gropper-canaries/

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Anyone have any dug handgathereds?  Or maybe Lucky Boy boxes with handgathereds?  Were the Lucky Boys all Pelt?  Were they from the handgathered time or only the feathered time?

2 hours ago, I'llhavethat1 said:

Steph, on yours, is it a cold roll that makes the "9" pattern show up under the UV pic?

They're connected.  They coincide for part, so that I'm not sure how much of the brighter glow of the 9 comes from a pinching of the glass and how much comes from something swirly below the surface.

• 1 year later...

Thanks, Ron!  

That's a beauty.  And it reinforces my hesitancy to firmly declare a particular company as the maker of any  found-in-the-wild handgathered slag.  Too many choices.

• Award 1

On 5/3/2020 at 8:28 PM, Steph said:

It has a nine which I noticed when looking at it under blacklight.   

hh6JECC.jpg?1

It stayed a mystery to me for a long time but gradually I got more comfortable thinking of it as a Pelt since I saw it in a Gropper box labeled "Opal Agates".   (Gropper distributed Peltiers.)  Eventually I learned that Canary was an early Pelt name and this is the best candidate for that marble.   And apparently they're described in American Machine-Made Marbles, and I keep forgetting that!  

https://marbleconnection.com/topic/21112-peltier-gropper-canaries/

I need at least one Canary.

The green one I posted was confirmed by two long time Peltier people.  Back in 2003 or 04 at a Columbus OH show. I had it for sale with six other slags. The late Guy Gregg picked it out fast and said I better keep it. That it was a hand gathered Peltier. Years went by and about 2008 I took it to the Decatur show. I had it with other slags for sale. The late Gino Biffinay picked it up and said this is a nice hand gathered Peltier. He did not buy it, but he didn't buy much at shows. I knew he liked it.  The next year, for his help to me with Peltier marbles in past years, I gave the marble to him. He was surprised and said that I may not find another one.  He was correct, but I do not hunt or collect slags. I am like Steph, I have big hesitation in declaring a certain maker for sure on many hand gathered slags.      

• Award 1

Here is what i am aware of, from all the years being well into Peltier marbles. We ALL learn many many things as we stay into this hobby. As Ron mentioned about our great friends from the past, Guy Gregg and Gino Biffany. Here is what i have learned, some may take this what ever they may. I know one day all this will be brought to light. I have a copy of the (first) machine that Peltier had when they started. I think you can find this vie the web. They produced (hand gathered) marbles when they started. The slags and "Primas" mentioned is correct as well as some game marbles possibly the "Canaries" also. Then came the regular slags which are very difficult to tell unless you have an original box. Then came the "featherd slags". It is very hard to tell the hand gathered and the regular slags from others. There is ONE other hand gathered that many do not know about and NOT MANY were produced from all i have learned. The real early starting years of Peltier is VERY interesting and so much more to learn.  Chuck G---

• Like 1
  • Award 1

4 hours ago, wvrons said:

The green one I posted was confirmed by two long time Peltier people.  Back in 2003 or 04 at a Columbus OH show. I had it for sale with six other slags. The late Guy Gregg picked it out fast and said I better keep it. That it was a hand gathered Peltier. Years went by and about 2008 I took it to the Decatur show. I had it with other slags for sale. The late Gino Biffinay picked it up and said this is a nice hand gathered Peltier. He did not buy it, but he didn't buy much at shows. I knew he liked it.  The next year, for his help to me with Peltier marbles in past years, I gave the marble to him. He was surprised and said that I may not find another one.  He was correct, but I do not hunt or collect slags. I am like Steph, I have big hesitation in declaring a certain maker for sure on many hand gathered slags.      

3 hours ago, Chuck G said:

Here is what i am aware of, from all the years being well into Peltier marbles. We ALL learn many many things as we stay into this hobby. As Ron mentioned about our great friends from the past, Guy Gregg and Gino Biffany. Here is what i have learned, some may take this what ever they may. I know one day all this will be brought to light. I have a copy of the (first) machine that Peltier had when they started. I think you can find this vie the web. They produced (hand gathered) marbles when they started. The slags and "Primas" mentioned is correct as well as some game marbles possibly the "Canaries" also. Then came the regular slags which are very difficult to tell unless you have an original box. Then came the "featherd slags". It is very hard to tell the hand gathered and the regular slags from others. There is ONE other hand gathered that many do not know about and NOT MANY were produced from all i have learned. The real early starting years of Peltier is VERY interesting and so much more to learn.  Chuck G---

I am grateful for the information you both provide the marble community....

Your input is priceless..thanks again awesome information..💥💥💥

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steph said:

Thanks, Ron!  

That's a beauty.  And it reinforces my hesitancy to firmly declare a particular company as the maker of any  found-in-the-wild handgathered slag.  Too many choices.

Lol, I'm the same way with most slags and just about any swirl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2022 at 7:03 PM, Steph said:

Thanks, Ron!  

Agreed 100% I to am "slag & swirl impaired"