lightning strike's

Chad G.

Anyone seen any of these lately  ?? I've never seen one in person, ever, in over 35 yrs. are they just that rare or what ??? Say's they're always around an inch or more. All these are between 1 1/4 " and 1 1/2 " the last pic I have no idea, saved it off the old marbleforum.

1.5 inch lightning strikes.jpg

1 and 11,16ths.PNG

lightningstrike1.png

lightningstrike2.png

pontill on top of marble.PNG

• Like 1

I know when I started collecting this marble was quite sought after, I never have seen one or met up with anybody that has one. I would sure like to talk to someone who does, look's like a somewhat different process than the norm for an old handmade. I can't find anything on them anymore, anywhere except pic's, no info.

A very rare type of old handmade, so few made they're a really hard marble to track down. They always came 1" size's or better. "Yes" they are a legit marble. All I can find anymore are picture's or I would post info, that's why I started this thread in the first place. I guess not many people have an affinity for old handmade German's like I do anymore??

These marble's where in between 1.25 and 1.80 " mostly". All were handmade, If you look closely you'll see the pontil's  on them, been around a long, long time. A very expensive marble to acquire, if you can find one. These picture's are very authentic. The last I heard of any being sold was in the 90's when everyone was chasing after the handmade German's, including me. A very beautiful marble in my opinion considering when they where made.

17 hours ago, Chad G. said:

These marble's where in between 1.25 and 1.80 " mostly". All were handmade, If you look closely you'll see the pontil's  on them, been around a long, long time. A very expensive marble to acquire, if you can find one. These picture's are very authentic. The last I heard of any being sold was in the 90's when everyone was chasing after the handmade German's, including me. A very beautiful marble in my opinion considering when they where made.

For the "O.G." oldtimers - Bill Cokenhauer used to have IIRC three of them for sale.  All very nice.  At the same time he had a legit "Bird Cage" - which is the only one I had ever seen outside of a book.  He had it 2-3 years while it waited for a buyer that could swing it.

In those show days - Bill handled most of the big money odd pieces.

The only bird cage I've ever seen is the pic of the one sold @ morphy's, I could never swing A marble like that, maybe a lightning strike if I was willing to spend my entire tax return, I talked to wvrons 'Ron" and he said he see's a strike every couple year's, usually running anywhere between 1500 to 3000 apiece but hasn't been able to get his hand's on one as of yet.

Hey Chad G.,

You say "I've never seen one in person, ever, in over 35 yrs."  Well since I'm over twice that age, I'm allowed to have a couple.

Here's an older pic of "three strikes" - top row.

The one on the right is one of the few (maybe only) 4 colored one I've seen.

The reverse side is pictured in Stan Block's "Marble Mania", 1998

image.png

image.png

I guess I don't know how to load your image's ? I would really like to see them, I've always wanted a strike but could never afford it. Now that I'm on disability probably never will, still nice to look at !! I haven't seen one in 35yr's. because my job's and now disability have kept me tied down.   

I've now learned that no one's really sure where they where made. I just went on autopilot year's ago when I was thinking German. I've heard everything from Asian made to Venetian glass. Most recently on the other marble discussion site I heard of 2 selling in 2019 for around $1700.00 each, the price has come down a bit,  I got this information is from a few former owner's  and other's interested in the marble's history. Who know's:dunno:, still an interesting and worthwhile query. It certainly keep's my fire going!!:Panic: Myself, I would be happy just to see one, always shrouded in mystery, "wait a second thought seeing one probably wouldn't be good enough"  "just make me want to own one all the more". 

• 4 months later...

Two marbles that I have never owned, Lighting Strike and a Birdcage. Getting doubtful now as I get older. When I was going to 10 shows a year before the virus. I would see both of them once or twice a year. I agree not sure where the Lighting Strikes were made, but probably not Germany.  Just me but I have seen more Lighting Strikes than I have Bird cages.  Might be another reason The Bird cages are usually more money. That $1700.00 would be a little cheaper price than most Lighting Strikes, I have seen them at $2000.00 . I have seen some Bird cages $3000.00-$4000.00 .  But people are paying $2000.00 for a Blue Galaxy. There are big numbers more of Blue Galaxies than Lighting Strikes or Bird Cages.  I sold a nice mint Blue Galaxy for $1200.00 about 3-4 years ago and I was happy. The prices on some just keep climbing. The large 1 1/2 and over good handmades are still demanding high dollars. But most handmades values have been down or dropping for several years. 

I have a large collection of handmades, and yes the prices on the ones 1.5 & 2.5 are holding but even the high mint smaller ones I have, have lost a little in value, no matter to me I like them just the same, a lot of hard work and actual attention to detail is instilled in them. Manmade not pumped out by the millions by a machine but by human hands, from the creation of the glass to the stretching of the canes as prep just to make the marble, I have a great appreciation for all marble makers, hot, sweaty, hard work even at the newer manufacturers.

• 1 year later...

You'll have to forgive me for resurrecting such an old post. On Wednesday I hope to be looking closer at a similar mib, sorta similar anyway. It's transparent green with orange lightning bolts on it. Anybody ever heard of any color but white? I have not held it in hand, don't even know if it's for sale. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks

Bruce

48 minutes ago, Berryb said:

You'll have to forgive me for resurrecting such an old post. On Wednesday I hope to be looking closer at a similar mib, sorta similar anyway. It's transparent green with orange lightning bolts on it. Anybody ever heard of any color but white? I have not held it in hand, don't even know if it's for sale. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks

Bruce

All Lightning Strikes that I have seen and know of are on opaque white.  Take care assuming ID.