Akro Friday

Not a lemonade but it does have the highly UV reactive ade glass w, hvy oxblood corking around it. Glows w/ kind of a little weird looking slightly orangish tint. the looks of the glass remind me of being somewhere in between custard and lemonade. A keeper anyway @ .76" and a nice mint w, only one small micro asmade dimple in the oxblood. I thought it was lemonade forever until I took the time to look at it side by side with the other lemonades !!

image.png.7931bfc1ffb783441d09c9b543893e8a.png

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Not a lemonade but it does have the highly UV reactive ade glass w, hvy oxblood corking around it. Glows w/ kind of a little weird looking slightly orangish tint. the looks of the glass remind me of being somewhere in between custard and lemonade. A keeper anyway @ .76" and a nice mint w, only one small micro asmade dimple in the oxblood. I thought it was lemonade forever until I took the time to look at it side by side with the other lemonades !!

Nice one, looks like fresh paint 🎨 😊

51 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Chad, I would call it an Oxblood lemonade any day of the week---maybe a cross between "Cherryade" and "Oxblood Lemonade"

Who knows what happened here, I just know that it a pretty nice Akro.

Marble--On!!

I was lucky enough to find this #200 tin with the original inserts. The latch was intact. The box needed some tender work; it was pretty beat up and well faded.  Two thirds of the marbles needed back-filling and I had to find a pouch.

I found a pouch that needed work and I think that I did quite well; it looked like it came out of a cow barn when I purchased it. The pouch took a lot of work and research on just how to handle it and clean it, as did the tin box.

Believe it or not the hardest marbles to backfill were the red onyx. These show up with a bubble filled base glass more often than not. The ones that I was backfilling/trying to match were pretty well cooked with few bubbles. I will admit that finding green Flintie’s is a challenge but I only needed one of them and one of the brown.

I like to scan an image of the cover on this type of box to place inside of the cover; it displays better that way IMHO.

I have an original set of rules that came in the 150 boxes that I may scan and put with it, but I have not found any evidence that this size tin came with them.

This is about as accurate regarding “as sold in condition” that I could come up with through lots of research.

Doing this, rebuilding boxes, of any type or make, is my passion. This one kept me out of trouble for a long time.

On to the next, or maybe some trouble----😁

Marble—On!!!

200 tin box.JPG

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Chad G. said:

WOW!! gorgeous !!!!!

image.png.566fef195c59f0ef2b21ddf34ec394da.png                 "Happy Akro Friday"                  image.png.d0cf7f83ac8c8b0a037551631cb13eee.png

image.png.cc160ae731ce3fef52f632186e02406f.png

The "Logo Stamp" and place of manufacture on the bottom of a larger piece of Akroware, a so named "Dart Vase"  Named for the dart like pointed marks streaming down from the top of the vase. There are different numbers of "Darts" that appear on different pieces.

image.png.820a47e3af4984d79ed704ff7e5a0427.png

Here are a few pieces from Akro tea sets w, differing numbers of the "darts"  on them. These next two pictured considerably smaller than the above w, the larger dark blue one being around  2 & 5/8ths"  tall and the smaller being aroun1 & 3/8ths" tall. The lighter turquoise one is 2 & 3/8ths, I measured all w/o the lids on. They all have a little different lid that goes w, each too, guess I'm gonna have to get all the different pieces together I have and look at some pix of sets to get the correct lid on the right piece. I've just been going w, whatever fit the best which I know isn't right.

image.thumb.png.20efcaa599358090081bd41aaea1661c.png

image.png.64a74497fa99df985c4077ea24c85b66.png

• Like 5

Happy Akro Friday!!! I thought I would also post some Akroware and mention another interesting fact that Chad had brought to my attention a while back...how on some pieces the crow is facing, or flying in the opposite direction. I never noticed it either until that day!

16379375772182250171215427090627.jpg

16379376503021341398285593577168.jpg

16379377046428818379974374428014.jpg

16379377519262089278221653249895.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/19/2021 at 6:05 PM, akroorka said:

I was lucky enough to find this #200 tin with the original inserts. The latch was intact. The box needed some tender work; it was pretty beat up and well faded.  Two thirds of the marbles needed back-filling and I had to find a pouch.

I found a pouch that needed work and I think that I did quite well; it looked like it came out of a cow barn when I purchased it. The pouch took a lot of work and research on just how to handle it and clean it, as did the tin box.

Believe it or not the hardest marbles to backfill were the red onyx. These show up with a bubble filled base glass more often than not. The ones that I was backfilling/trying to match were pretty well cooked with few bubbles. I will admit that finding green Flintie’s is a challenge but I only needed one of them and one of the brown.

I like to scan an image of the cover on this type of box to place inside of the cover; it displays better that way IMHO.

I have an original set of rules that came in the 150 boxes that I may scan and put with it, but I have not found any evidence that this size tin came with them.

This is about as accurate regarding “as sold in condition” that I could come up with through lots of research.

Doing this, rebuilding boxes, of any type or make, is my passion. This one kept me out of trouble for a long time.

On to the next, or maybe some trouble----😁

Marble—On!!!

200 tin box.JPG

It is a very nice set,

You did a great restoration-the pouch looks new. Great job.

• Like 1
  • Award 1