The "Score!" thread. Post your exciting finds here...

Paid $20 each for two Navarre's (1" and .95") that were sold as slags. Left one is very mint range aside from one impact fracture. Right one has more as-mades and seems a little lopsided. Also another $10 for some nice little machinemades including a cobalt/black Akro cork and a pretty neat little Rainbo. Condition mint range on those.

_DSC0227.JPG

_DSC0228.JPG_DSC0229.JPG_DSC0230.JPG_DSC0232.JPG_DSC0233.JPG_DSC0234.JPG_DSC0235.JPG

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

7 minutes ago, schmoozer said:

Small score, my first sulfide ever, after 25 years. $15 thrift store find.

Nice, Brad, especially for $15! I have two elephants - my sulfide collection is complete too. lol

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2022 at 6:16 PM, Ric said:

Svenska Stenkulor score from my new marble friend, Chris!

ric944.jpg.5dd805cdee15dc827399a3d20a338cd3.jpg

These are very cool - not clay, that's for sure. They are quite hefty, way more like stone. I really like them!

I’m so happy that they reached you. ^_^ They are surprisingly heavy, right? :) It’s a mix of plaster, cement, talc and finally colour pigments. Gently tumbled around a rape seed. Nice photo, Ric!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chris Parson said:

They are surprisingly heavy, right?

That is what surprised me the most, I was expecting something more like clay. Thanks again for the loose ones, Chris, and the sealed plastic jar full too! I think they're great - so unique!

• Award 1

Interesting group of "old marbles" on eBay.  Seller said she bought them together in the UK some 30 years ago.

image.png.c22e4050650724b5dccbfc5fa9294732.png

Four blood alleys (marble marbles), 10 hand faceted, played with, jasper (?) marbles, a clear agate and an ivory marble.  (I've seen more pelt golden rebels than hand faceted jasper marbles.)

Marble marbles range from 13.2 mm to 18.4 mm

Hand faceted jasper marbles are mentioned in Jeff Carskadden's book 'Colonial Period and Early 19th-century Children's Toy Marbles', pg 125 image.png.21beaa42427a7e739e5048387d1fa0d8.png

The ivory marble can be identified by its Schreger lines:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schreger_line image.png.db2015815c6c43a3941d138fd0da9df3.png

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

1 hour ago, hdesousa said:

Interesting group of "old marbles" on eBay.  Seller said she bought them together in the UK some 30 years ago.

Four blood alleys (marble marbles), 10 hand faceted, played with, jasper (?) marbles, a clear agate and an ivory marble.  (I've seen more pelt golden rebels than hand faceted jasper marbles.)

Marble marbles range from 13.2 mm to 18.4 mm

Hand faceted jasper marbles are mentioned in Jeff Carskadden's book 'Colonial Period and Early 19th-century Children's Toy Marbles', pg 125

Killer score, Hansel! Honestly if it weren't for those blood alleys, I would assume that's just another contemporary machine ground mineral sphere set.

From now on I'm peering closer at listings like those.

The only faceted non-agates I have are a rose quartz and this guy, which to my eye looks a lot like the one above your ivory(!) one:

image.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, William said:

Very nice Beggars Hand 👍

I have not heard them called that before, William. The hand seems pretty svelte for a beggar. Where did you hear that name? It seems like it might have been adapted from the Portieux or Vallerysthal "paupers" or "beggars hand" vases, which look a lot more like a beggar's hand, at least to me.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fa/f3/35/faf3353da9ade3f13402368fd5cc68df.jpg

• Like 1