Sad News / Ron Shepherd

SNYD

This is stunning and shocking news.  He was so supportive encouraging to everyone and of me and my efforts to learn marbles.  He was always cheerful and always ready with a good story. We had a hallway test where he pulled marbles out of his pocket and had me guess, just the other day in Decatur.  He was genuinely excited that I'd gotten them all right.  It's one of the nicest guys I've ever met.  I condolences to Nola and to his friends and family.

• Like 2

So sad to read.  Ron was one of the first collectors that I met outside of the West Coast.  Just a great help and inspiration to learn about the marble collecting hobby.  He and I communicated about marbles over the years and I saw him at the few shows that I attended in the midwest and east coast.  My prayers to his family.  RIP.

• Like 2
  • Care 1

I had a missed call from Nola last night and just woke up to this devastating news. I struggle to find the right words. Ron was a great friend for many years. I can still remember meeting him at a root beer stand in Parkersburg and discussing starting a West Virginia Marble Collectors Club. His passion and knowledge of marbles is unsurpassed and I doubt anyone would argue that point. He was one of the kindest persons you would ever meet, and always willing to share his knowledge. This is an enormous loss to the marble community! With a broken heart, all I can say is he will be dearly missed by so many.

• Care 1
  • Thanks 1

Just woke up to see the phone flashing. Multiple messages, I knew it wasn't good news. It's like a giant hole has just opened up over what my mind sees as what is the West Virginia Marble Collector's Club. Ron was my closest marble friend and mentor and main inspiration and resource for all questions and reviews over everything related to the initial club website, as well as to the rebuilding of the new club website to be launched this year. I was really looking forward to sitting down and going over all the summaries of marble history of each manufacture as described in the sub heads of each gallery page, especially Jabo, Sammy's & DAS, as not much, if anything has been published. I was looking forward to the back and forth discussion and hoping for the sense of approval for all my work put forth over the last few weeks, along with the overall new site build started this February. It was always Ron's approval I sought. To see the smile and know we were doing something in the name of the club, for you, the collector community.
I will relay any information in regard to the upcoming WV Club show as it is available.

• Like 1
  • Care 1

this is sad news, indeed. i don't have much to add that others haven't already said so elegantly and compassionately. i had the good fortune to meet ron briefly at (i think) the Indy show in 2005. as others noted, he was very, very generous, both with his vast amount of knowledge and his marbles. not only has the marble community lost a giant, but a wonderful ambassador to the hobby, and a great friend to many. 

sincere condolences to those whose lives he touched and who will miss him. 

• Like 1
  • Care 1