Sad News / Ron Shepherd

SNYD

This is such a sad thing, but also I want to pass along that Ron loved the farm and his hobby was taking care of it and making it look as nice as possible. This was what he was doing just prior to his passing. His wish was to pass away in his childhood home / farm which did happen. The weekend before he was at a marble show doing what he also loved. So, as we are saddened by this, we must remember he was doing what he liked to do. He was happy. His last wish was to be placed to rest at the cemetery at the farm, which he redid and was very proud of it. It is a great final resting place as he will forever look over the farm from the hilltop. To my buddy RIP.

• Like 3
  • Award 2
  • Care 6

This is heartbreaking news , never met in person but he helped me become the marble collector that I have become will miss the blunt but true comments from him ..😥and the marbles he sent me for my swirl id will hold a special place in my collection, my heart is heavy for his family and his friends for their great loss.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PittsburghMarbles said:

Did Ron ever publish any books or help with information in any books? I really hope his immense knowledge was preserved in some way. I still can't believe that this happened. 

Many books and You Tube vids

Planet Earth has lost its “Jedi Marble Master”. 
Fifty normal humans could not fill his shoes.
What sad news indeed.
I send my Condolences to all that knew and loved him personally.
I feel that the line through the “Pearly Gates” was held up a bit when St. Peter asked him about some Ravenswood marbles that he had collected. 
It may still be backed up!!
Marble—On!! ( I know that Ron would agree, so do you all)
I will miss you Ron:computer-22:.

• Like 1
  • Care 2

5 minutes ago, Melissa said:

I'm very interested in his books.  Do you know where I can find them or what they are called so I can google?

No books by him that I know of--just a contributer to many.

Check the images and the credits to them in many books.

Marble--On!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2023 at 6:40 AM, Columbusrockhound said:

The West Virginia Marble Collector's club show will go on as scheduled. Please direct any questions and contact me for table reservations. Jeffrey Theobald, 740-371-4528m [email protected] 

Better to contact me on facebook or club site email link. See revised digital show flyer.

wvmcc2023web3.jpg

• Like 1

My heart hurts. Many of you know that Ron and I were very good friends and that we shared countless good times and adventures together with Bill McCaleb over many years. Ron taught me most of what I know about marbles and I could not have invented a better mentor. Some of my fondest memories are of sitting together with him and sorting and resorting gallon after gallon of WV swirls, sometimes for days on end. And this was at a time when precious few people knew anything about most of the WVS companies or the marbles they produced, and the vast majority of collectors payed them no attention at all. Ron played a key role in changing that. His love of WVS marbles and their history led him to produce a huge body of research - many trips to WV state archives and libraries, interviews with company principals and employees, and digs at nearly every location where the marbles were produced allowed him to make very significant contributions to a number of marble books and to the hobby of marble collecting more generally. And his willingness to share what he knew with anyone who was interested greatly assisted many individuals with their development as collectors.

But the most important things I know about Ron don't have anything to do with marbles. He was one of the most respectable people I have ever known, and I mean that in every sense of the word. He was respectful toward everyone, kind to a fault, thoughtful and empathetic, and he had a way of making people feel better - better about themselves or better about a predicament they were experiencing. Ron was a very wise man. He lived his life largely in service to the people he loved and to those people who were lucky enough to call him a friend. And his magnanimity extended to every person he met. This was the Ron Shepherd that I was fortunate to know and the man that I will dearly miss.

I extend my most heartfelt condolences to his family, Nola Morgan, and to the many other people who mourn his passing.

RIP my dear friend. You will never be forgotten.

• Sad 1
  • Care 5

Nola Morgan asked me to post the following here for her . . .

Heartfelt thanks - I have read and reread and reread your posts after Ron's passing. I just wish Ron could read them. As is often the case, we don't realize what we have until we lose it. Even though he received much praise and thanks from marble collectors for identifying marbles or retelling the history of the WV marble companies, or the antics of his marble digging experiences, he would be humbled to see your kind words. I have often told people who were singing his praises that they should tone it down or he would get the "big head". But right now, I wish he was here to read them even if he did get a big head. Right now my heart is broken. I don't know how I am going to get along without him. Not only was Ron good at identifying WV marbles, especially swirls, (better than anyone else that I know). He was pretty good regarding other marble companies as well. He wasn't infallible, and sometimes would have to back peddle on an identification when new information surfaced as a result of the marble digs or some other sources. If he couldn't get identification down to one company, he would tell you that it was either one or another company, or that he just didn't know. He was not only good with marbles, he was good at a lot of things, at least better than I am - he cooked better than me, decorated better than me, kept a cleaner house than me, etc. I think you get the picture! He was just a good man good at whatever he set his mind to. We had eleven years together and I would give anything to have another eleven years, or just one day, with him. I had a very good childhood and my teenage years, while not exciting by most standards, were content. I had two great parents, worked 30 years, and retired at the age of 55. I thought I was enjoying my retirement, but when I was 62 years old, this good man convinced me that the two of us would make a good pair. We had eleven years together and I can honestly say that those eleven years have been the best, happiest years of my life. I miss him already more than I can express.  I feel like a ship without a rudder. Reading your posts has made me both sad because he's gone and happy because of the good things you said about him. I believe that he will be missed by many. Thank you for your very kind words.  Nola

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Care 6

Ric, I never met you face to face but I know you were close, Ron has spoken well about you many many times. You, Ron, and Bill, the Three Amigos. Nola told me and my wife Val about that tonight. You lost Bill and then Ron in such a short time frame :(  A lot of people know about Ron and how he was so willing to help with marbles but he truly was a good man on every account. Like Nola said, he didn't just know marbles. He knew about toilet flush valves, carburetors, tractor hydraulics, plastics and composites, you name it. He remembered names, events, and details that even I, at a younger age could not recall. "Sharp as a tack" was a term that fit Ron to a Tee. He knew this reality was a possibility and prepared for it. He has influenced my life as a person who I want to emulate in many ways. I'm sorry for your loss, I wish there was something better to say than that. I feel for you. I feel for Nola. 

• Sad 1
  • Award 2
  • Care 2

A pillar of a man that cannot be replaced.

My heartfelt condolences to loved ones and friends. May your hearts carry his memory in witness of who he was.

Blessings to those who knew him.  A shame that another generation will never get the direct experience of his knowledge and friendship.

Call those who are far away.  Hug those who are near.  Tomorrow is not promised.  

Godspeed, dear Ron.

• Like 2
  • Award 1
  • Care 2

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody asked if I had a picture of myself with Ron and I had been looking for one all week. Turns out, I couldn't find any, probably because every time we had our photo taken together somebody else was taking it. I know Billy had lots of them but I never got any copies. Then this afternoon when I was looking through my photo archives I came across this one. It'll soon be framed and hanging in my office. Anyways, because my email provider won't allow me to send large attachments, I figured I would post it here where they can access it.

ThreeAmigos.thumb.jpg.f5c8a59b5b37e0dc95697e0e270a583d.jpg

I think this was at one of the Decatur shows in 2010. Man, I miss these guys.

• Like 5
  • Award 2
  • Care 2

4 hours ago, Ric said:

Somebody asked if I had a picture of myself with Ron and I had been looking for one all week. Turns out, I couldn't find any, probably because every time we had our photo taken together somebody else was taking it. I know Billy had lots of them but I never got any copies. Then this afternoon when I was looking through my photo archives I came across this one. It'll soon be framed and hanging in my office. Anyways, because my email provider won't allow me to send large attachments, I figured I would post it here where they can access it.

ThreeAmigos.thumb.jpg.f5c8a59b5b37e0dc95697e0e270a583d.jpg

I think this was at one of the Decatur shows in 2010. Man, I miss these guys.

Are you in the middle or on the right?

4 hours ago, Al Oregon said:

Ric - here were a couple pictures of you two that I had saved.  One was at the Sistersville Show in 2008 and the other at the Texas Show in 2009 where you two were helping me  ID about 500 WV swirls.

Oh my golly, Al, thank you so much for posting these pics - you have totally made my day! I remember both occasions like they were yesterday. The Sistersville Show was always so fun, especially when the weather was nice like it was that day. And that grin on Ron's face is how I see him in my mind even today. And wasn't it the Texas show where you and I went in together on a nice group of Ravenswood batch glass red, white and blues, some of which had metal, and then just laid them out on the bed and took turns picking them?

Seriously, Al, I can't thank you enough for posting these. The memories are priceless!

• Like 3
  • Award 2
  • Care 1

Hello, this is Michelle, Ron's daughter. I have been going through some of dad's marble posts and pm's looking for something particular and came across this. I thank all of you for your kind words. He spoke so frequently of the "marble people" that I feel like I know you myself. Some I have met, most I have not. You meant so much to him, like a second family. Marbles were a big part of his life, and it made him so happy, thank you for being a part of what made him smile. Is it okay if I copy these pics and use them for a memorial table at the upcoming show?  If anyone has other pictures that you would like to share for the table, please email them to me at dad's email address [email protected]. Thank you.

• Like 4
  • Care 6

2 hours ago, wvrons said:

Is it okay if I copy these pics and use them for a memorial table at the upcoming show?

How could anyone object?

Thank you for sharing your father with us.  

• Like 1
  • Care 2